If I have 3 naded wires copper

In summary, to determine the resistance and voltage in this scenario, you would need to calculate the individual resistances of each wire using the resistivity formula and then combine them in parallel. The voltage output would then depend on the current.
Alfcon
Hi, if I have 3 naded wires copper, Tin and Lead wrapped into one cable and I run 12v through it how do I work out the amount of resistance I get and the total voltage at the other end?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Alfcon said:
Hi, if I have 3 naded wires copper, Tin and Lead wrapped into one cable and I run 12v through it how do I work out the amount of resistance I get and the total voltage at the other end?

You mean insulated wires?

You work out the resistance of each wire (using the resistivity formula) and then the combined resistance of the wires in parallel if they are connected in parallel.

The voltage out depends on the current, of course.

Hello,

To calculate the resistance of a wire, you will need to know the length, cross-sectional area, and resistivity of the material. In this case, we can assume that the length and cross-sectional area are the same for all three wires since they are wrapped together. However, the resistivity will be different for each material (copper, tin, and lead).

Once you have the resistivity values for each material, you can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance for each wire. Then, you can add the resistances together to get the total resistance of the cable.

To calculate the voltage at the other end, you can use the voltage divider formula (V2 = V1(R2/(R1+R2))), where V1 is the initial voltage (12V in this case), R1 is the resistance of the first wire, and R2 is the combined resistance of the remaining two wires.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are the properties of copper wires?

Copper wires are known to have excellent electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and malleability. They are also resistant to corrosion and have a low melting point.

2. How many electrons are in 3 naded copper wires?

Assuming the wires are pure copper, each wire would have the same number of electrons. Copper has 29 electrons in its outermost energy level, so 3 wires would have a total of 87 electrons.

3. How does the thickness of the copper wires affect their conductivity?

The thicker the copper wire, the lower its resistance and the higher its conductivity. This is because a thicker wire has a larger cross-sectional area, allowing more electrons to flow through it at a time.

4. Can copper wires carry both AC and DC currents?

Yes, copper wires can carry both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. This is due to their excellent electrical conductivity, which allows electrons to flow in either direction.

5. Can I use 3 naded copper wires for household wiring?

It depends on the specific application and the thickness of the wires. Generally, thicker wires are used for household wiring to handle higher currents and reduce the risk of overheating. It is best to consult a professional electrician for proper wire sizing and installation.