If in Ring, evaluate (a+b)(c+d)

• Thread starter apalmer3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, to evaluate (a+b)(c+d) where a, b, c, d are elements of a ring R, you can use the distributive property by treating (a+b) as one element and then using it again. This results in the equation ac+bc+ad+bd, which is equivalent to ac+ad+bc+bd and shows that addition is commutative in a ring. Alternatively, you can use the distributive property to get ac+ad+bc+bd directly.
apalmer3

Homework Statement

If a,b,c,d [tex]\in[/tex] R, evaluate (a+b)(c+d). (R is a ring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it's simple foiling, but I'm not sure.
ac+ad+bc+bd

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you suspect this not to be true?

If you're in doubt re-check the defintion of a ring.

Last edited:
I doubt it simply because I'm in a 4000 level Math course. It can't be this easy an answer.

What else could it be?

Well, if there's no more information about a,b,c,d than I don't know what else you could do :smile:

Okay, so I'm going to guess that everyone agrees with me that this is right? It just seems too easy! Oh well, I'll accept it and move on. :-D

Treat (a+d) as one element and use the distributive property of rings. Then use it again. Make sure you keep the ordering if you're not dealing with a commutative ring.

Okay, that makes sense, PingPong! So, technically, the order is different.

(a+b)(c+d)
=> (a+b)c+(a+b)d
=> ac+bc+ad+bd

Right, but remember that in a ring, addition is commutative, so your order doesn't matter. What I said about ordering was meant to be applied to multiplication (unless you're dealing with a commutative ring). So what you had at the beginning was correct, but now you see why!

EDIT: Actually as a side note, commutativity of addition in a ring is an unneeded axiom, because it follows from the distributive property. If you treat (c+d) as one element, the distributivity property gives (a+b)(c+d)=a(c+d)+b(c+d)=ac+ad+bc+bd. This means that ac+bc+ad+bd (your method) is equivalent to ac+ad+bc+bd, or ad+bc=bc+ad. Thus addition is commutative.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of evaluating (a+b)(c+d) in a ring?

The purpose of evaluating (a+b)(c+d) in a ring is to determine the product of two binomials, where a, b, c, and d are elements of the ring. This can be useful in various mathematical applications such as solving equations or simplifying expressions.

2. How is the multiplication of elements in a ring different from regular multiplication?

In a ring, multiplication is not always commutative, meaning the order of the elements matters. Additionally, the product of two elements in a ring may not always be an element of the ring, unlike regular multiplication in the real numbers.

3. Can (a+b)(c+d) be evaluated in any type of ring?

No, (a+b)(c+d) can only be evaluated in a commutative ring, where multiplication is commutative and associative. In non-commutative rings, the product of two binomials would be (a+b)(c+d+ac+bd), which is not the same as (a+b)(c+d).

4. What is the difference between a ring and a field?

A ring is a mathematical structure that has two operations, addition and multiplication, and satisfies certain properties. A field is a type of ring where all non-zero elements have a multiplicative inverse, meaning they can be divided by. In a ring, not all elements have a multiplicative inverse.

5. Can (a+b)(c+d) be simplified further?

Yes, (a+b)(c+d) can be expanded using the distributive property to get ac+ad+bc+bd. This can be further simplified if the ring has additional properties, such as being a commutative ring or having a multiplicative identity.