If lasers cross-over, do they "add up"

In summary: Can i have sensor at point A measuring the laser beam and detect the crossover of the another laser.In summary, if two lasers cross over, they will add up the intensities.
Observeraren
Hello,

If two lasers cross over, do tehy ionisate each other. If i have sensor in laser measuring ionisation going out etc can it see that laser 2 is crossing over it?
ukbDn

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "ionisate each other"? "ionisate" is not a word.

If you mean the intensity: In general the intensities will add up. In special cases you can get interference, then it gets more complicated.
A better description of your setup would help.

Hello,

ok, what kind of intensities will add up? I want to have a sensor by the laser that can pick up the intensities. Does laser work in space?

Observeraren said:
ok, what kind of intensities will add up?
What do you mean by "what kind of intensity"?
Observeraren said:
Does laser work in space?
Sure.

With "what kind of intensity" I am asking for the best way to measure the effect of a laser hitting another laser. I want to know with a sensor that if the another laser is crossing over the laser or not, in aerospace.
Thank you for your time. it is limited for all of us.

Can i have sensor in place A (from pic) measuring the laser beam and detect the crossover of the another laser.

EDIT: what kind of sensor.

Attachments

• laser sensor.png
    laser sensor.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 462
Observeraren said:
With "what kind of intensity" I am asking for the best way to measure the effect of a laser hitting another laser. I want to know with a sensor that if the another laser is crossing over the laser or not, in aerospace.
Lasers don't hit each other; light waves pass through each other. You can, however, measure the "intensity" as power absorbed by a photodetector placed where they intersect. Is that what you are looking for?

Lasers don't "hit" each other. Two laser beams crossing each other will just pass through each other. There is no special effect that you could measure.
If you measure the intensity directly at the point where they cross, you'll measure the sum of the intensities of the individual laser beams.

The sensor at "a" won't be influenced by the vertical laser.

Thank you!

1. Do lasers really "add up" when they cross over?

Yes, when two laser beams cross over each other, their energy does combine or "add up". This phenomenon is known as laser beam interference and is an important principle in laser technology.

2. How does laser beam interference work?

Laser beam interference occurs when two or more laser beams meet and their electric fields interact with each other. This interaction causes the beams to either amplify or cancel each other out, depending on the relative phases of the beams.

3. Can laser beam interference be controlled?

Yes, laser beam interference can be controlled by adjusting the phase difference between the beams. This can be achieved by using devices such as mirrors, diffraction gratings, or interferometers.

4. What are some applications of laser beam interference?

Laser beam interference has many practical applications, including holography, optical data storage, and interferometry. It is also used in the construction of precision optical instruments, such as telescopes and microscopes.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with laser beam interference?

Laser beam interference itself is not dangerous, but it is important to take proper precautions when working with lasers. Direct exposure to laser beams can cause eye damage, so it is important to wear protective eyewear and follow safety protocols when working with lasers.