Exploring the Mysteries of Antenna Efficiency

In summary, when a current changes in a wire, it creates an opposite magnetic field that resists the induced magnetic field until it reaches a constant state. However, when an electron rapidly oscillates along an antenna, there is a small resistive element that allows for the efficient operation of the antenna. This resistance is due to the emission of energy as radiation, and without it, the total energy would increase instead of being conserved.
Strangeline
I understand a changing current in a wire gives way to an opposite magnetic field that resists the induced magnetic field, until there is no change in magnetic field, then you're left with a constant induced magnetic field.

So my confusion with the antenna is when an electron rapidly oscillates across the span of the antenna, there would be a rapidly oscillating opposing magnetic response that would nullify the original signal, or at least considerably weaken it.

So how do antenna's operate efficiently?

Physics news on Phys.org

Nevermind I guess I kind of answered my own question in there. A resisting magnetic force only comes up when the electrons accelerate, as in change direction. Then it moves at a constant speed throughout the span of the antenna so there is no opposing force.

Which "electron" is moving along the antenna? At Radio Frequencies, the electrons actually can be thought of as oscillating by a minute fraction of the diameter of an atom. Just stick to 'current' for your argument.
This induced field is, in fact, there (a reactive element) but there is also a small resistive element which represents Power radiated into space.

<<If magnetic forces resist a changing magnetic field, how do antennas radiate EM waves>>

There is resistance, but that does not mean the resistance is complete. When you drive your car, air hitting the windshield and elsewhere provides some resistance, but that does not imply your car cannot go faster than zero miles per hour.

The resistance of the antenna is due to it emitting energy. Energy is leaving the antenna as radiation, and if there were no resistance then total energy would go up rather than being conserved.

Last edited:

Thank you, i understand it much better now

1. What is antenna efficiency?

Antenna efficiency refers to the ability of an antenna to convert input power into radiated electromagnetic energy. It is a measure of how well an antenna can transmit or receive signals.

2. What factors affect antenna efficiency?

The efficiency of an antenna is affected by various factors including the design and construction of the antenna, the materials used, the operating frequency, and the surrounding environment.

3. Why is antenna efficiency important?

Antenna efficiency is crucial in achieving optimal communication performance. A highly efficient antenna can transmit or receive signals with minimal power loss, resulting in better signal strength and improved overall performance.

4. How is antenna efficiency measured?

Antenna efficiency is typically measured by comparing the input power to the output power of the antenna. The ratio of these two powers is expressed as a percentage and is known as the efficiency of the antenna.

5. How can antenna efficiency be improved?

Antenna efficiency can be improved by carefully designing and constructing the antenna, using high-quality materials, optimizing the antenna for the specific operating frequency, and minimizing any potential sources of signal loss in the surrounding environment.