If supremum=infimum, is f Riemann integrable?

• Thread starter GVAR717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riemann
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Riemann integrability and how to prove that a function is Riemann integrable using the theorem that states the supremum and infimum must be equal. The conversation also touches on the use of partitions and the characteristic function of rationals to understand this concept. Additionally, there is a mention of Latex and how to use it to display mathematical symbols in a conversation.
GVAR717
This is my first time posting & I am not familiar with how to get all the correct math symbols or how to use Latex, so I did the best I could.

Homework Statement

Suppose f is bounded on [a,b] and there is a partition P* of [a,b] for which S(f,P*)=S(f,P*). Is f Riemann integrable on [a,b]?

Homework Equations

S(f)=sup{S(f,P*): P* is partition of [a,b]}
S(f)=inf{S(f,P*); P* is partition of [a,b]}

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, by a theorem, that S(f)>S(f). I am trying to figure out how to show S(f)<S(f) so that I can say S(f)=S(f). I thought about choosing another partition Pe such that S(f,Pe)-S(f,Pe) would equal some epsilon value, but I don't know what value I should use or where to go next.

If this is the wrong process for this proof, I would love a hint on where to start.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean "for which S(f, P*)=S(f)"? If so, hint: consider characteristic function of rationals on [0,1].

losiu99 said:
Did you mean "for which S(f, P*)=S(f)"? If so, hint: consider characteristic function of rationals on [0,1].

No, I am trying to use a theorem that says a function is Riemann integrable if the supremum equals the infimimum: S(f)=S(f)

Are you using Darboux definition of Riemann integral, I mean:
[tex]\underline{S}(f, P^*)=\sum m_i \Delta x_i[/tex]
[tex]\overline{S}(f, P^*)=\sum M_i \Delta x_i[/tex]
where
[tex]m_i = \inf \{f(x): x_{i-1}\leq x \leq x_i\}[/tex]
[tex]M_i = \sup \{f(x): x_{i-1}\leq x \leq x_i\}[/tex]
or the other popular one, where
[tex]S(f, P^*)=\sum f(t_i)\Delta x_i[/tex]
for [tex]x_{i-1}\leq t_i \leq x_i[/tex]
?
Sorry for such question, but I'm confused. Statement like "S(f, P*)=S(f, P*)" suggests the first (Darboux) definition, while "Relevant Equations" section suggests the second (at least for me). Or maybe it's yet another definition? Again, sorry to ask, but when I find out which definition you are using, I think I will be able to help.

losiu99 said:
Are you using Darboux definition of Riemann integral, I mean:
[tex]\underline{S}(f, P^*)=\sum m_i \Delta x_i[/tex]
[tex]\overline{S}(f, P^*)=\sum M_i \Delta x_i[/tex]
where
[tex]m_i = \inf \{f(x): x_{i-1}\leq x \leq x_i\}[/tex]
[tex]M_i = \sup \{f(x): x_{i-1}\leq x \leq x_i\}[/tex]
or the other popular one, where
[tex]S(f, P^*)=\sum f(t_i)\Delta x_i[/tex]
for [tex]x_{i-1}\leq t_i \leq x_i[/tex]
?
Sorry for such question, but I'm confused. Statement like "S(f, P*)=S(f, P*)" suggests the first (Darboux) definition, while "Relevant Equations" section suggests the second (at least for me). Or maybe it's yet another definition? Again, sorry to ask, but when I find out which definition you are using, I think I will be able to help.

It's the first one with the m's.

By the way, how do you get the math symbols? I don't have Latex.

OMG. I just realized that I was making this problem harder than it is.

I can just say that [tex]\underline{S}(f, P^*)-[tex]\overline{S}(f, P^*)=0, which is less than epsilon.

Yes, precisely. Well done :ok: As for the math symbols, Latex is an inbuild board feature, you don't need to have it on your computer. Just use [ tex ] [ /tex ] tags around your Latex input. If you're unsure about that, ask or quote my post to see the raw input of my previous messages.

1. What is the definition of Riemann integrability?

Riemann integrability is a mathematical concept that determines whether a function is integrable or not. A function is considered Riemann integrable if the lower and upper Riemann sums converge to the same value as the partition of the interval becomes finer.

2. How do I know if a function is Riemann integrable?

A function is Riemann integrable if it is bounded and continuous on a closed interval, and has a finite number of discontinuities. Additionally, the function must satisfy the Riemann integrability condition where the upper and lower Riemann sums converge to the same value as the partition of the interval becomes finer.

3. What is the significance of supremum and infimum in determining Riemann integrability?

The supremum and infimum of a function on a given interval provide upper and lower bounds, respectively. If the supremum and infimum of a function are equal, it indicates that the function is constant on that interval, which is a necessary condition for Riemann integrability.

4. Can a function be Riemann integrable if the supremum and infimum are not equal?

No, a function is not Riemann integrable if the supremum and infimum are not equal. This is because the function would not be constant on the given interval, and therefore would not satisfy the Riemann integrability condition.

5. Is Riemann integrability the only way to determine if a function is integrable?

No, there are other types of integrability such as Lebesgue integrability and improper integrability. These differ from Riemann integrability in their definitions and conditions, but all aim to determine if a function is integrable or not.