If y = x/z then how do you calculate dx/dy?

• Thread starter confused88
  • Start date
In summary, if y = x/z and you need to calculate dx/dy, it depends on whether z is a constant or a variable. If z is a constant, then it is a simple application of the power rule. If z is a variable, then you will need to use partial derivatives to find the derivative. You can also use the definition of a derivative to derive these results.
confused88
sorry I am so dumb, coz i forgot all maths over the holidays..

but if y = x/z
then how do you calculate dx/dy?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, if [itex]y = x/z[/itex] then [itex]z*y = x[/itex]. Does that help? If [itex]z[/itex] is a variable and not a constant, then you'll need to use partial derivatives.

haha i think that you underestimate how dumb i am. But that's cool, thanks for the help but

Well, if [itex]z[/itex] is a constant, then this derivative is a simple application of the power rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dy}(zy) = z = \frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

If [itex]z[/itex] is not a constant but a function rather, then we use partial derivatives so that we have:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(zy) = z = \frac{\partial x}{\partial y}[/tex]

It's also easy to derive these results using the definition of a derivative . . .

1. What is the meaning of "dx/dy" in the equation y = x/z?

The notation "dx/dy" represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x. In other words, it measures the rate of change of y with respect to changes in x.

2. How do you calculate dx/dy?

To calculate dx/dy, you first need to express the given equation in terms of x and y. Once the equation is in the correct form, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative. Specifically, you can use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of y/x is equal to (x * dy/dx - y * dx/dx)/x^2. Simply plug in the values for x, y, and z to calculate dx/dy.

3. Can dx/dy be negative?

Yes, the value of dx/dy can be negative. This indicates that as x increases, y is decreasing at a certain rate. In other words, the function is decreasing with respect to x.

4. When is dx/dy equal to 0?

dx/dy is equal to 0 when the rate of change of y with respect to x is 0. This means that the function is not changing at that point and is either at a local maximum or minimum.

5. How is dx/dy related to the slope of the graph?

The value of dx/dy at a given point on a graph represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. This means that dx/dy gives us information about the steepness of the graph at a specific point.