If you wanted to specialize in another subfield

• Thread starter Catria
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker would have applied to Yale without fail if they were interested in becoming a particle experimentalist. They would have also crossed off WUSTL, Vanderbilt, and Dartmouth from their list due to the lack of a particle experimentalist or their dislike for the CMS.
Catria
... what schools would you have considered but didn't? Alternatively, what schools would you have crossed off your list?

This question is addressed to those who once contemplated a different subfield while applying to PhD programs, or those already in a PhD program.

I'll start: if I wanted to become a particle experimentalist (rather than a theoretical particle cosmologist), I would have applied to Yale without fail, and I wouldn't have considered WUSTL, Vanderbilt or Dartmouth at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Catria said:
I would have applied to Yale without fail, and I wouldn't have considered WUSTL, Vanderbilt or Dartmouth at all.
Why is that?

Yale had what I would want in an experimental particle group, while WUSTL, Dartmouth had no particle experimentalist at all, and I hated CMS (hence no Vanderbilt and no Minnesota either)

1. What are the different subfields that I can specialize in as a scientist?

There are numerous subfields within the field of science, including biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, neuroscience, and many others. Each subfield focuses on a specific aspect of the natural world and utilizes unique methods and techniques.

2. How do I determine which subfield to specialize in?

Choosing a subfield to specialize in can be a personal decision and depends on your interests and career goals. It is recommended to explore various subfields through coursework, research opportunities, and internships to gain a better understanding of your interests and strengths.

3. Can I switch to a different subfield after specializing in one for some time?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different subfield after gaining experience and expertise in one. Many scientists have interdisciplinary backgrounds and have worked in multiple subfields throughout their careers.

4. Are there any common skills or knowledge that are transferable between different subfields?

While each subfield has its own unique set of skills and knowledge, there are some general skills that are transferable, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. Additionally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and research methods can be beneficial in any subfield.

5. Will specializing in a specific subfield limit my career opportunities?

No, specializing in a specific subfield does not necessarily limit your career options. Many scientists have successful careers in a variety of industries, including academia, government agencies, research organizations, and private companies, regardless of their subfield specialization.