If you were a linear algebra teacher, would you dock points for this?

In summary, as someone who has taught linear algebra, I wouldn't dock points for abbreviations of "J-canonical forms" and "##\mathbb{Q}##-canonical forms" in proofs. However, it would be best to stick to the notation used by the instructor to avoid any confusion. It is important to be easy to understand and not take unnecessary risks on exams.
Eclair_de_XII
Let's say you were proctoring some test that required proofs of Jordan canonical forms and rational canonical forms.

Would you dock points from a lazy student abbreviating the former as "J-canonical forms" and the latter as "##\mathbb{Q}##-canonical forms" in their proofs?

Science news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's say you were proctoring some test that required proofs of Jordan canonical forms and rational canonical forms.

Would you dock points from a lazy student abbreviating the former as "J-canonical forms" and the latter as "##\mathbb{Q}##-canonical forms" in their proofs?
As someone who has taught linear algebra a number of times, no, I wouldn't take off points for those abbreviations. My focus would be more on the validity of the proofs.

Likes DEvens, gleem and Klystron
Not unless for some reason you had instructed them not to do that.

Best not to give examiners an excuse to dock marks.

Eclair_de_XII said:

silly. But I learned my lesson quickly in an intro linear course. If it is the actual instructor giving the exam, then I use what ever short hand notation he uses in lecture. If it is not the instructor proctoring the exam, then I am very formal with notation used and no shorthand.

with all due respect, no. and i am at some difficulty not to insult the intelligence of any "instructor" who would do this. on the other hand, why would take the chance that your otherwise correct answer might be misunderstood? your job is to be easy to be understood. i wonder if you have told us the full story.

Last edited:

1. Can you explain the concept of "docking points" in linear algebra?

When grading assignments or exams, docking points refers to deducting points from a student's overall score for making mistakes or not fully meeting the requirements of the question.

2. How do you decide how many points to dock for a mistake?

The number of points deducted for a mistake depends on the severity of the error and how much it affects the overall solution. It is important for a linear algebra teacher to have a clear grading rubric that outlines how points will be deducted for different types of mistakes.

3. Is it fair to dock points for small calculation errors in linear algebra?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on the teacher's grading policies. Some teachers may choose to only dock points for significant errors that show a lack of understanding, while others may deduct points for any mistake regardless of its impact on the solution.

4. Are there any scenarios where you would not dock points for a mistake in linear algebra?

Yes, if the mistake is a result of a minor error or typo, it may not be necessary to dock points. In these cases, the teacher may choose to provide feedback and allow the student to correct the mistake without any point deduction.

5. How can students avoid having points docked in linear algebra?

To avoid having points docked, students should carefully read and follow the instructions, double-check their calculations, and show all work and steps in their solutions. It is also helpful to review and understand the grading rubric beforehand to know what is expected for each question.