1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IGBT gate resistor for switching application

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a 560 ohm gate resistor on an IGBT. Usually an IGBT doesn't require a gate resistor as it already has a high impedance of its own, but I'm told that for switching applications a gate resistor can be beneficial.

The attempt at a solution
    If there is a gate resistor, will it not slow down the switching speed of the IGBT? Why then would I require a resistor at the gate?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2
    The gate has capacitance, very low resistance can cause a gate ringing due to parasitic inductance in the gate circuit. The resistor impacts many factors, it may be necessary to slow the IGBT down to reduce di/dt or EMI, to limit the peak current from the driver.

Some various references - there is no one answer - it is worth reading all of them through. But nothing beats blowing a few up and then figuring out why...:wink:
    ON Semi
    Infinion / IR
    Semikron

These references above are typically for larger IGBTs - but your 560 ohm seems very high, I have not seen an IGBT using Rg that high. I just looked up a small IGBT 600V/30A and the Rg was 22 Ohms.

As a rule of thumb we start with 150% of the value used for the IGBTs characteristics in the Datasheet, as these tend to be ideal conditions and done to make the IGBT switching look as good as possible - but realistic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted