IGBT gate resistor for switching application

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a gate resistor on an IGBT for switching applications. Although IGBTs have a high impedance, a gate resistor can be beneficial to prevent gate ringing caused by parasitic inductance. It may also be necessary to slow down the IGBT to reduce di/dt or EMI and limit peak current from the driver. Different references suggest varying values for the gate resistor, with a general rule of starting at 150% of the value used in the IGBT's datasheet.
nothing909
Homework Statement
I have a 560 ohm gate resistor on an IGBT. Usually an IGBT doesn't require a gate resistor as it already has a high impedance of its own, but I'm told that for switching applications a gate resistor can be beneficial.

The attempt at a solution
If there is a gate resistor, will it not slow down the switching speed of the IGBT? Why then would I require a resistor at the gate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gate has capacitance, very low resistance can cause a gate ringing due to parasitic inductance in the gate circuit. The resistor impacts many factors, it may be necessary to slow the IGBT down to reduce di/dt or EMI, to limit the peak current from the driver.

Some various references - there is no one answer - it is worth reading all of them through. But nothing beats blowing a few up and then figuring out why...:wink:
ON Semi
Infinion / IR
http://www.ppi-uk.com/wp-content/uploads/AN-7003_Gate_Resistor-Principles_and_Applications_rev00.pdf

These references above are typically for larger IGBTs - but your 560 ohm seems very high, I have not seen an IGBT using Rg that high. I just looked up a small IGBT 600V/30A and the Rg was 22 Ohms.

As a rule of thumb we start with 150% of the value used for the IGBTs characteristics in the Datasheet, as these tend to be ideal conditions and done to make the IGBT switching look as good as possible - but realistic.

1. What is an IGBT gate resistor and its function in switching applications?

An IGBT gate resistor is a type of resistor used in the gate circuit of an Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) in switching applications. Its main function is to control the rise and fall times of the gate voltage, which helps in regulating the switching speed and reducing EMI (Electromagnetic Interference).

2. How do I select the appropriate IGBT gate resistor for my application?

The selection of an IGBT gate resistor depends on factors such as the gate capacitance of the IGBT, the desired switching speed, and the maximum voltage and current ratings of the IGBT. It is best to consult the datasheet of the IGBT and use online calculators or consult with a technical expert to determine the appropriate gate resistor value.

3. Can I use a regular resistor as an IGBT gate resistor?

No, regular resistors are not suitable for use as IGBT gate resistors. They do not have the necessary characteristics to handle the high switching speeds and currents in a switching application. IGBT gate resistors are specifically designed for this purpose and have lower inductance and capacitance values.

4. What are the consequences of using the wrong value of IGBT gate resistor?

Using the wrong value of IGBT gate resistor can lead to various issues such as excessive heating, increased switching losses, and reduced efficiency. It can also cause malfunctioning of the IGBT and damage to other components in the circuit. It is important to select the appropriate gate resistor value to ensure proper functioning of the circuit and longevity of the components.

5. Is it necessary to use an IGBT gate resistor in a switching application?

Yes, using an IGBT gate resistor is necessary in most switching applications. It helps in controlling the switching speed and reducing EMI, which can affect the performance of the circuit and cause interference with other electronic devices. However, in some cases, such as low-frequency switching applications, an IGBT gate resistor may not be required.