Ignorance that makes you wish you were dead

• Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ignorance
In summary, the man in the video says that the reason you see a ship's mast and then the rest of the ship as it approaches from the distance is due to the curvature of the Earth, when in reality it has to do with the refracting of light near a temperature differential at the ocean's surface. He also says that the sun is smaller than the Earth, and that moon is half the size of the sun. Although these claims may seem absurd, they are all based on scientific research that can be interpreted in a certain way due to political climate or anticipation of certain results.
rohanprabhu

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is great :rofl:

The one "science" guy was citing the reason you see a ship's mast and then the rest of the ship as it approaches from the distance being due to the curvature of the Earth I think is incorrect. As I recall, it has to do with the refracting of light near a temperature differential at the ocean's surface.

You really believe that temperature differential stuff? I thought everyone know it was because you're only looking at it with the top half of your iris.

On one hand, I'm pretty amused that the older man said some pretty absurd things so matter-of-factly, but on the other hand it goes to show how stupid anyone is that speaks based on convictions alone. This includes some that embrace science that accept scientific research as the gospel when it is affected by political climate or anticipation of certain results that cause researchers to espouse a certain interpretation, for example.

jhicks said:
The one "science" guy was citing the reason you see a ship's mast and then the rest of the ship as it approaches from the distance being due to the curvature of the Earth I think is incorrect. As I recall, it has to do with the refracting of light near a temperature differential at the ocean's surface.

Same way that you can see "water" on the street on a hot dry day.

dawin said:
You really believe that temperature differential stuff? I thought everyone know it was because you're only looking at it with the top half of your iris.

lol...

Some great reactions to this video:

ani625: We see with half eye..
Moon is half the size of the sun..
and finally, sun is smaller than the earth..
Pure GOLD!

kru1e:He has a book titled science, its obviously a fact

mrgreenjeans:If he doesn't believe anyone knows how the human eye works, then he shouldn't be wearing glasses.

Last edited:
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

why would i wish myself dead? him maybe but never myself

kru1e:He has a book titled science, its obviously a fact

Ha at least I'm not the only person who noticed that. That's like having a cookbook called Food.

*Laughing hard*

I kept thinking if he only thinks he sees with half his eye, maybe he should take off the bifocals until he gets the prescription adjusted better.

Yes, I was laughing at the "Science" book too.

Does anyone know the native language in the video to verify if the subtitles are accurate? There seemed to be a lot more words spoken than words in subtitles, but it could have just been the way the language is spoken. Or, it could have been a spoof of some sort. It just seemed so outrageous, that I was wondering if it was some sort of joke/prank type show even. Maybe they set up a professional in a field under the guise of a debate, and then have an actor being so outlandish to see the professional's reaction. Afterall, he may have been lured in under the impression he was going to be interviewed to promote his new elementary school level textbook on Science. (I hope folks can understand I'm sometimes skeptical of YouTube content as a reliable source of translations of TV content. :wink:)

Last edited:
The Physicists was shot and killed the next day for speaking against the Koran.

Moonbear said:
I kept thinking if he only thinks he sees with half his eye, maybe he should take off the bifocals until he gets the prescription adjusted better.

Yes, I was laughing at the "Science" book too.

Does anyone know the native language in the video to verify if the subtitles are accurate? There seemed to be a lot more words spoken than words in subtitles, but it could have just been the way the language is spoken. Or, it could have been a spoof of some sort. It just seemed so outrageous, that I was wondering if it was some sort of joke/prank type show even. Maybe they set up a professional in a field under the guise of a debate, and then have an actor being so outlandish to see the professional's reaction. Afterall, he may have been lured in under the impression he was going to be interviewed to promote his new elementary school level textbook on Science. (I hope folks can understand I'm sometimes skeptical of YouTube content as a reliable source of translations of TV content. :wink:)

I love the way the guy used the function of his bifocals as an indirect way to explain the flatness of the earth. That takes some real 'on the spot' creativity. I got a kick out of that. It reminds me of children who cover their faces and think you can't see them, or the time someone told me that Roy G. Biv invented the rainbow, or the time I said a bowling ball could float if it was hollowed out and lead was used to substitute the missing weight.

The ignorance is kind of funny, but what is disturbing is the absolute conviction that it can be carried with. I don't know anyone who hasn't said something ridiculous at one point or another in their lives. What is sad is when we can't learn from our mistakes. Fundamentalism of any sort seems to be a bad idea.

As for the video, I would bet it is the real deal. The flailing gesticulations alone make me suspect that the guy has absolute conviction in his ideas. More importantly, I doubt that Iraqi TV would poke fun at any passage in the Quran. If it is a joke then it is something someone patched together independently and posted on youtube.

edit - did anyone else notice the science guy referring to evidence gained from spaceships, satellites and shuttles? If spaceships isn't referring to sattelites and shuttles, then what other kind of spaceships is he collecting data from?

Last edited:
I sent this over to a arabic friend who said it is a true translation.

It's from http://www.memritv.org/", their translations are usually accurate.
Another story befitting the title (alas, no video): http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/956334.html"
Shas MK Shlomo Benizri blamed gays Wednesday for the earthquakes that have shaken the region in recent months, telling a Knesset plenum debate on local authorities' earthquake preparedness that government action on homosexuality would do much to prevent the tremors.

Benizri said the government should not make do with reinforcing buildings, but should instead pass less legislation that encourages homosexuality and other "perversions like adoptions by lesbian couples."
This happened after the Attorney General gave the go-ahead to same-sex couples' adoption requests.

On the other hand this could be useful.
The USA is trying to develop an earthquake bomb for use against deep underground bunkers. If the IDF could just arrange a carefully positoned phased array of choreographers/hairdressers then with a carefully timed order they could project an earthquake at a chosen target.

hypatia said:
I sent this over to a arabic friend who said it is a true translation.

Really sad then. I was really kind of hoping someone had just put in fake subtitles.

I am scared. I imagine that there is going to be a Dark Age 2.0 soon.

mgb_phys said:
On the other hand this could be useful.
The USA is trying to develop an earthquake bomb for use against deep underground bunkers. If the IDF could just arrange a carefully positoned phased array of choreographers/hairdressers then with a carefully timed order they could project an earthquake at a chosen target.

:confused: what are you trying to say about hairdressers and choreographers?

JasonRox said:
The Physicists was shot and killed the next day for speaking against the Koran.

From where did you learn this?

ice109 said:
:confused: what are you trying to say about hairdressers and choreographers?

Ok - it would also work with isreali paratroops http://www.joelonsoftware.com/AboutMe.html Then you would also need a set of sergeants to bark orders like "on the count - camp it up"

Huckleberry said:
edit - did anyone else notice the science guy referring to evidence gained from spaceships, satellites and shuttles? If spaceships isn't referring to sattelites and shuttles, then what other kind of spaceships is he collecting data from?

My guess is that it was a right-leaning show and that they have someone posing as a physicist due to the nature of the answers given. The book that had "science" written on it looked to be little more than a prop attempting to portray the scientific man as a religious zealot of science and to make him appear exactly as we on this forum view the one spewing koran passages.

mgb_phys said:
We've this reality TV show called "born to dance" (you can guess what it's about), your comment could give birth to a whole new class of conspiracy celebrity gossip. :eek:

mgb_phys said:
Ok - it would also work with isreali paratroops http://www.joelonsoftware.com/AboutMe.html Then you would also need a set of sergeants to bark orders like "on the count - camp it up"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0334754/" - 7.7 user rating on IMDb, I liked it less.

ShawnD said:
Ha at least I'm not the only person who noticed that. That's like having a cookbook called Food.

Hahahah! If I ever write a cook book, that's what I'll title it.

Shocking

In the past week I have have been shocked my peoples general lack in knowledge. Firstly a girl taking AS level biology with myself was suprised to find that chocolate had any fat in it. She thought it was just sugar. As much as it may seem I am taking the piss I am not. It hit me hard especially as she wants to be a nutritionist.

Even more shocking was the fact a girl in my AS maths set thought that 0.80 was a negative number. In fact she thought that any number between 0 and 1 was a negative number. That hit me even harder. Both of these misunderstandings were from students taking the subject further.

Anyone else experience something similar?

_Mayday_ said:
Shocking

In the past week I have have been shocked my peoples general lack in knowledge. Firstly a girl taking AS level biology with myself was suprised to find that chocolate had any fat in it. She thought it was just sugar. As much as it may seem I am taking the piss I am not. It hit me hard especially as she wants to be a nutritionist.

Not all that shocking. When people talk about chocolate, they usually refer to sugar. Diets like Sugar Busters specifically say to avoid chocolate, so you just naturally assume chocolate is sugar. On that same note, a lot of people don't know milk contains a fair amount of protein, because companies sell milk by %fat rather than %protein.

A bit of me always wonders if these zealots are serious. Can they really believe the Earth is flat? In order to think the Earth is flat, they would either need to think the Earth has boundaries like the walls of a cup, or it has no boundaries and the Earth is infinitely big.

ShawnD said:
Not all that shocking. When people talk about chocolate, they usually refer to sugar. Diets like Sugar Busters specifically say to avoid chocolate, so you just naturally assume chocolate is sugar. On that same note, a lot of people don't know milk contains a fair amount of protein, because companies sell milk by %fat rather than %protein.

A bit of me always wonders if these zealots are serious. Can they really believe the Earth is flat? In order to think the Earth is flat, they would either need to think the Earth has boundaries like the walls of a cup, or it has no boundaries and the Earth is infinitely big.

To me it seemed quite obvious :shy:

ShawnD said:

Maybe they just played too much Pac-Man and think that if you go one way for too long, you come out on the other side?

That was great! I especially enjoyed the parts where he described things in the distance as being blurry until they got closer. Or that things in the distance looked round but were actually straight when viewed up close. Those glasses of his! Killer!

Huckleberry said:

Space probes such as Voyager or Pioneer?

One thing about arabic though, it sounds very scholarly to the ears when they talk with the emphasis on words and use the hand motions. Everything they say seems more thought out with logic.

I love his book with the cover, 'SCIENCE'.

Poop-Loops said:
Space probes such as Voyager or Pioneer?
I'll just chalk it up to translation. I suppose you are right. It just struck me as an odd word to use in that discussion.

Poop-Loops said:
Maybe they just played too much Pac-Man and think that if you go one way for too long, you come out on the other side?

That would make the Earth a torus.