I'm 27 and want to begin studying AE. Am I crazy?

• Studying
  • Thread starter MaxPeck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, a 27-year-old is considering going back to school for a degree in Aerospace Engineering after feeling unfulfilled in their current career. They are concerned about starting their studies later in life and whether it is a realistic goal. Other individuals share their experiences with starting a new career later in life and encourage the individual to pursue their passion.
MaxPeck
I'm 27 and want to begin studying AE. Am I crazy? :(

Hey Guys! First time poster here; forgive me if something like this has been covered in the past but I didn't find what I'm looking for via Search.

All of my life I have had an interest in anything to do with flight or space, and more universally anything loud and fast or with lots of quickly-moving parts. I lived near a Navy base (father was an aviator) during my early years so jets were a large part of my childhood and I had dreams of becoming a fighter pilot, until I learned my vision was quite poor. I went through a directionless and largely mediocre high school and junior college career (AA in Liberal Arts), all the while playing with model rockets, becoming an amateur astronomer, studying racecar design and even taking private pilot lessons in my spare time but never committing myself to a career in aerospace partially because I was afraid of the math requirements but mostly because I was just a bit of a slacker and didn't imagine I would have the smarts to do it. Now fast-forward to the future and I'm almost 28 years old and have been working in software for the last few years but really not enjoying myself most of the time. I've reached a point where I am seriously considering going back to school and studying what I truly feel I should have committed myself to years and years ago: a career in Aerospace Engineering.

So I guess my question is this; does this sound like a pipe dream to you guys? Or better yet, do you ever hear of people starting their careers in AE fairly late and going on to become successful in their field? I'll probably be 29 by the time I actually enter a university to begin my studies; do you think that entering the AE workforce so late would place me at any type of a professional disadvantage? I know it is quite common for people to go back and pursue their M.S. late in their careers but, *beginning* to study in the first place in their late 20's/early 30's?

I'm very serious about this but to me, having been away from the full-time school grind for years, it is also quite daunting. I'd really appreciate any input you guys can offer on this matter. :)

As a sidenote: I'm extremely jealous of all you guys that knew what the the heck you wanted to do with your lives when you were beginning college! :P haha

- Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Think of this:

Flash forward ten years.
You're now 37. Nothing you do will change that.

Now look back at your life.
Either you will be in Aerospace Engineering or you won't be.

Will you, at 37, be happy with what you've done with the last ten years?

MaxPeck said:
As a sidenote: I'm extremely jealous of all you guys that knew what the the heck you wanted to do with your lives when you were beginning college! :P haha

me too. I knew I had to complete GTA3, NFS UG2, HALO, RCW, max payne,...:biggrin:

dont think, get admission. Rest is pretty much what dave said

Thank you, Dave. You are very correct. I feel kind of silly for posting this but, I guess I'm just looking for guys that have been in my situation at one time to help put my doubts at ease...

ank_gl said:
me too. I knew I had to complete GTA3, NFS UG2, HALO, RCW, max payne,...:biggrin:

It's really funny that you say that because I've been working in the videogame industy for years. I blame gaming for all of my lost time. :P

- Matt

MaxPeck said:
Thank you, Dave. You are very correct. I feel kind of silly for posting this but, I guess I'm just looking for guys that have been in my situation at one time to help put my doubts at ease...

Having been in photo tech, I went back to school for software dev at 28. Now, at 44, I'm really wanting to go into physics.

You will go through several career changes in your life.

You will go through several career changes in your life.
i ll be graduating this june as a mechanical engineer, i love the work I am supposed to do as a mechanical engineer. But there is a thought somewhere in me which wants me to go in physics, I really don't know what is there in it, but i am really fascinated by particle physics. I don't know what's in there, but i hope to get into it, probably at 35:biggrin:

MaxPeck said:
It's really funny that you say that because I've been working in the videogame industy for years. I blame gaming for all of my lost time. :P

- Matt

lol, well you still got to give it some credit for giving you that sense of imagination :D

I'll be starting a Mathematics degree aged 25 (next year). Akin to you - i am hugely envious of those who were encouraged into and/or exposed to areas of potential interest at a young age. Only 2 years ago did i begin to realize what Mathematics truly is (I studied it in High school, as everyone else did, but with inexplicibly incompetent teachers - even with a good teacher, High school students are not exposed to Mathematics, they are taught formulae and equations). Recognising that i would be at least 33 (more likely 35 or so) upon attaining a P.H.D. is rather painful - considering it is said a Mathematicians prime passes in their early twenties.

However - as others have mentioned - the choice is between being in your mid-thirties with your degree, or without it. Exploring your favoured area, or admiring it from afar. Easy choice for me.

[Edit: In the time between deciding i wanted to go to Uni and actually going to Uni, i have been studying via distance-learning with the Open University. If you are in the UK you may benefit from doing similar, maybe a Maths course or two, or Physics. Not only to freshen your knowledge, and gain new understanding of your subject area, but also to familiarise yourself with "study" again, making your first year at Uni as easy as possible. Funding for the OU is thrown around, most people have their fees paid for by the OU. If you are outside of the UK; I'm sure similar organisations exist for you.]

Good luck.

Last edited:

Noo said:
... the choice is between being in your mid-thirties with your degree, or without it. Exploring your favoured area, or admiring it from afar...
Nicely said.

You don't conquer a hill because of the view from the bottom. You conquer a hill because of the view from the top.

Related to I'm 27 and want to begin studying AE. Am I crazy?

1. Can I succeed in studying AE at 27 years old?

Yes, age does not determine one's ability to succeed in studying AE. It is never too late to pursue your interests and passions.

2. Will I be able to catch up with the younger students?

Yes, with determination and hard work, you can catch up with the younger students. Age does not necessarily determine one's learning abilities.

3. Is it worth it to start studying AE at this age?

Yes, it is worth it if you have a genuine interest in the subject. It is never too late to learn something new and expand your knowledge and skills.

4. Will employers discriminate against me for starting my studies at 27?

No, employers value skills and knowledge over age. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, you will be considered for job opportunities in the field of AE.

5. How long will it take me to complete my studies?

The duration of your studies will depend on the program and course load you choose. However, on average, it takes about 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in AE.