I'm a little intimidated by my professor

• Thread starter mrund3rd09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary: I'm used to. I work for a professor who reports to a postdoc. We work together on one project, and I provide feedback to him on my progress. He provides feedback to me on the project. Basically, I'm just a student doing research for a professor.Typically, The Hierarchy for Research is Professor -> Postdoc or Research Fellows -> PhD Candidates -> 1st Year Grad Students -> Undergrads
mrund3rd09
I'm an undergrad just finished my second year in chemical engineering. I have worked for a pretty prestigious professor (chair of the ch e department) for a year now. I don't think I made a lot of progress as far as results are concerned, primarily because I was very busy with classes during the Fall, and depressed during the Spring semester.

Also, the professor I'm talking about is my supervisor, not really the professor I'm working with. I work with a scientist, who answers my questions and helps me out when I need it. So really, I'm not really working for the prestigious professor, but rather working for the scientist, who reports to the professor.

As for the research area, I have some interest. But the main thing is that I'm not producing as much results as I feel like I should. Also, I realize that it's important to build a good relationship with the professor, but I feel like this professor is really busy all the time and is always busy with other things

I want to make myself stand out a little bit in my undergrad years in research so that I can have a better chance applying for grad school.

Based on what I wrote about my current research position, what would recommend me do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you're at a big university doing research as a sophomore, sounds like you're doing quite well for yourself! making any headway in research as an undergrad takes time. how closely do you work with the scientist guy? sounds like your work with him would actually have a greater impact on your progress.

*or her

I go to iowa state university. you be the judge on how big or prestigious it really is. I mean our college prepare its engineers for industry for the most part. not research. I don't really see how I'm doing quite well considering other people who will be applying for grad school in the future are doing the same thing I'm doing, if not better.

I don't really know how you mean by "close" but we don't talk about our days or make any small talks, we just get down to business. And we get along just fine.

Last edited:
Typically, The Hierarchy for Research is

Professor -> Postdoc or Research Fellows -> PhD Candidates -> 1st Year Grad Students -> Undergrads

Professor -> PhD Candidates

Professor -> Goldenboy

That's my experience. Most of the time undergrads will report to a grad student or maybe a postdoc or research fellow. You'll rarely talk with the Professor running the research group. They mostly get together with Grad Students (few years in already in the program) depending on how many grad students they have, and the rare special "goldenboy" that can walk on water, and breathe fire.

hahaha "goldenboy"

how frequent are these goldenboys of which you speak?

mrund3rd09 said:

Very rare. I've only met one.

phd052108s.gif

:biggrin:

^ that's excellent.

how often should I meet with the scientist?

should I ask for advice about my progress?

I think you're a little mislead that all people applying for graduate school have a research position in their sophomore year. Lots of people get into graduate school with little to no research experience at all. It's great that you're doing something and this experience will definitely help you in the future.

It sounds to me like what you need right now is some specific feedback about your progress. It's not uncommon for undergraduate research assistants to feel how you do, and I think a lot of that comes down to not really knowing what they can expect to accomplish by putting in a few hours here and there over a term.

So, if you're working for someone, it's fair to solicit feedback. Set up an appointment with your supervisor and report on your progress as you see it. Then ask him or her for feedback. And finally outline some specific goals for the project, both short term and long term (if you're planning on continuing with this work).

In research, just because you don't meet a goal, does not mean you're doing a bad job. If you could predict exactly how it would go, it wouldn't really be research.

Pyrrhus said:
Typically, The Hierarchy for Research is

Professor -> Postdoc or Research Fellows -> PhD Candidates -> 1st Year Grad Students -> Undergrads

Professor -> PhD Candidates

Professor -> Goldenboy

That's my experience. Most of the time undergrads will report to a grad student or maybe a postdoc or research fellow. You'll rarely talk with the Professor running the research group. They mostly get together with Grad Students (few years in already in the program) depending on how many grad students they have, and the rare special "goldenboy" that can walk on water, and breathe fire.
Interesting, I just started summer research after finishing my first year of undergrad, and it doesn't work like that at all here. We have a small group that's a mixture of PhD candidates, RA's and undergrads (mostly undergrads), and we're constantly meeting with the professor and freely discussing things. It's really a very relaxed athmosphere, so there's no awkwardness when trying to contact the professor or anything. Granted, he's not much older than most of us are, but I didn't get the feeling it works as rigidly as you described with other professors, either (which isn't to say I don't believe that it works that way where you study).

But what do you think the reason for such hierarchy is where you're at, loftiness on part of professors or just lack of time to engage more with students?

Ryker said:
Interesting, I just started summer research after finishing my first year of undergrad, and it doesn't work like that at all here. We have a small group that's a mixture of PhD candidates, RA's and undergrads (mostly undergrads), and we're constantly meeting with the professor and freely discussing things. It's really a very relaxed athmosphere, so there's no awkwardness when trying to contact the professor or anything. Granted, he's not much older than most of us are, but I didn't get the feeling it works as rigidly as you described with other professors, either (which isn't to say I don't believe that it works that way where you study).

But what do you think the reason for such hierarchy is where you're at, loftiness on part of professors or just lack of time to engage more with students?

Indeed, the situation at my uni is more like what Ryker describes. It's a really relaxed atmosphere, and the professors often deal with undergrads directly. It's a relatively small university though (compared to USA's standards), so I guess that might be it. In large universities, some professors just don't have time for students...

mrund3rd09 said:

I know of one for sure, maybe two at my university. Like micromass, in some cases the professors often work directly with the undergrads. But this is usually with the goldenboy.

maybe I'll find myself a new professor this coming fall. I think it's really important that one or both of my recommendations come from my research professors.

Choppy said:
I think you're a little mislead that all people applying for graduate school have a research position in their sophomore year. Lots of people get into graduate school with little to no research experience at all.

I think I'll take your advice in meeting with my professor in discussing my performance in research. But as for the quoted comment, you're referring to EVERYONE who wants to apply for grad school, some of whom aren't even certain if it's what they really want, while some others are completely clueless. On the other hand, I'm trying to make myself into a competitive applicant - one who will be able to get into a good school. And given my international status, I believe I should remain as humble as I can and hope for a miracle as oppose to being arrogant and getting shot down, which was exactly what happened to me in high school senior year

1. Why do I feel intimidated by my professor?

Feeling intimidated by your professor is a common experience for many students. It could be due to their extensive knowledge and expertise in their field, or their authoritative role in the classroom. It is also possible that your own insecurities or past experiences may be contributing to this feeling.

2. How can I overcome this feeling of intimidation?

One way to overcome this feeling is to remind yourself that your professor is there to help and guide you. They are not there to judge or belittle you. It can also be helpful to engage in open communication with your professor and seek clarification or ask questions when needed. Additionally, building a positive relationship with your professor can help to reduce feelings of intimidation.

3. What should I do if I feel intimidated during class?

If you feel intimidated during class, take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Avoid shutting down or becoming defensive, as this may hinder your learning. Instead, focus on actively listening and taking notes. If you have questions or need clarification, do not hesitate to ask your professor after class or during office hours.

4. Is it normal to feel intimidated by my professor?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel intimidated by your professor. They are often highly knowledgeable and hold a position of authority in the classroom. However, it is important to remember that they are also human and have likely experienced the same feelings of intimidation in their own academic journey.

5. Will my professor judge me for feeling intimidated?

No, your professor is not there to judge you for your feelings. They are there to support and guide you in your academic journey. Remember that it is okay to feel intimidated, but try not to let it hinder your learning or progress. If you are struggling with this feeling, consider reaching out to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor for additional support.