I'm having a hard time showing this congruence has a unique solution modulo p.

• Thread starter jdinatale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Time
In summary, the statement has a unique solution modulo prime p if and only if p is a prime and a, b \in \mathbf{Z} with a \not \cong 0 \mod p. However, this solution is difficult to find because r and s can be any integers, and manipulating r and s to get the desired solution is difficult.
jdinatale

Homework Statement

Prove that if [itex]p[/itex] is a prime and [itex]a, b \in \mathbf{Z}[/itex] with [itex]a \not \cong 0 \mod p[/itex], then [itex]ax \cong b \mod p[/itex] has a unique solution modulo [itex]p[/itex].

I'm having a hard time proving there exists only one solution by using a contradiction.

But my biggest problem is that I don't understand why this statement should have a unique solution modulo p. For example, let a = 3, b = 2, and p = 2. Then [itex]3x \cong 2 \mod 2[/itex] has multiple solutions. (x = 2,4,6,...) And that's just one example. Or does the "unique modulo p, mean that you take all of the solutions, and apply mod p to them and that is unique? For example (x = 2,4,6,...) mod p = 0.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

logico3.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Referring to your example, don't forget that for modulo 2 arithmetic, the only numbers are 0 and 1. So all the solutions you give (2, 4, 6, ...) are all "0" in mod 2.

In regards to your equation [itex]3x \equiv 2 [/itex] (mod 2), you are "allowed" to have the multiplicative factor be a number not in the system, but your equivalence is really [itex]3x \equiv 0 [/itex] (mod 2).

dynamicsolo said:
Referring to your example, don't forget that for modulo 2 arithmetic, the only numbers are 0 and 1. So all the solutions you give (2, 4, 6, ...) are all "0" in mod 2.

In regards to your equation [itex]3x \equiv 2 [/itex] (mod 2), you are "allowed" to have the multiplicative factor be a number not in the system, but your equivalence is really [itex]3x \equiv 0 [/itex] (mod 2).

Thank you, I now understand that. But I'm still have trouble devising a contradiction based on the knowledge that [itex]\frac{r + b}{a}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{s + b}{a}[/itex] are possible solutions. Since r and s are arbitrary integers, it's very difficult for me to manipulate them.

I think you're making trouble for yourself in that last statement, because indeed r and s can be any integers. You may have better luck if you look at differences, since (r - s) is an integer and all integer multiples of p are equivalent to 0 (mod p). So what is x - y , and what does that mean in modular arithmetic? [EDIT: oh yes, the requirement that p be a prime number is important in the argument.]

[Keep in mind that, in modular arithmetic, the only numbers are 0, 1, ... , (p-1) . So "a unique solution" means that there are not two possible results from that set, not that there is only a single answer in Z .]

Last edited:

What does "congruence" mean in this context?

In mathematics, congruence is a relation between two integers where their difference is divisible by a given number. In the context of modular arithmetic, congruence refers to the equivalence of two numbers modulo a given number.

Why is it important to show that the congruence has a unique solution modulo p?

It is important to show that a congruence has a unique solution modulo p because it guarantees that the solution is well-defined and independent of the choice of representatives for the equivalence classes. This is essential for making valid mathematical statements and proving theorems.

What methods can be used to show that a congruence has a unique solution modulo p?

There are several methods that can be used to show that a congruence has a unique solution modulo p, including the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Euler's Theorem, and Fermat's Little Theorem. These theorems provide useful tools for solving congruences and determining solutions modulo p.

Can a congruence have more than one solution modulo p?

Yes, a congruence can have multiple solutions modulo p. However, it is important to show that there is only one unique solution in order to prove the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem.

How can I prove that a congruence has a unique solution modulo p?

Proving that a congruence has a unique solution modulo p involves using mathematical theorems and techniques to manipulate the congruence and demonstrate that there is only one possible solution. This may involve factoring, simplifying, or using properties of modular arithmetic.