Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having a lot of trouble with similar triangles

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

DMg79Du.png
    Seriously, I understand it sometimes, but when it hits me with something like this, I'm just baffled...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A matter of writing down ##\cos\theta## in two ways: for the left triangle it's ?/50 and for the right one it's 32/? So ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}##

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

See, that's the part I get because of SOH CAH TOA. It's cosine, CAH, Adjacent over the Hypotenuse. The other one is completely the opposite. I set the problem up just like you did, but I really don't know where to go from there. ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}## That is what is baffling me.

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiply left and right with 50 ?, to get ##?^2 = 50 \times 32##

6. Jul 26, 2015 #5

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

Perfect! Now I completely understand the logic behind it! On another note, ##{30\over ?} = {?\over 32}##, if it had been formatted like this, do I simply take the reciprocal like this: ##{?\over 30} = {32\over ?}##
    Basically, I'm getting at the fact that the variable (which typically is x) isn't supposed to be on the bottom?

7. Jul 26, 2015 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Do you understand how BvU went from

[tex]\frac{x}{50}=\frac{32}{x}[/tex]
    to
    [tex]x^2=50\times 32[/tex]

8. Jul 26, 2015 #7

JR Sauerland

Gold Member

I think so. Didn't he multiply both sides by (50x)? It eliminated x in the denominator of the right side, and squared the x in the left side due to the fact that it was on top. I've heard you could cross multiple too though, although I don't know if it would be completely different or not...

9. Jul 26, 2015 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Right, so apply the same idea to your new problem. Taking the reciprocal of both sides is a valid operation, but it doesn't help you because you want to remove the variable from the denominator, which just so happens to give us a quadratic (squared value of x) in this sort of problem.

Also, cross multiplying is exactly multiplying both sides by 50x. It's just a means to help students visualize or to rote learn the process more easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook