I'm having a lot of trouble with similar triangles

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JR Sauerland
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Triangles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 1K views
JR Sauerland
Gold Member
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
DMg79Du.png

Seriously, I understand it sometimes, but when it hits me with something like this, I'm just baffled...
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A matter of writing down ##\cos\theta## in two ways: for the left triangle it's ?/50 and for the right one it's 32/? So ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}##
 
BvU said:
A matter of writing down ##\cos\theta## in two ways: for the left triangle it's ?/50 and for the right one it's 32/? So ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}##
See, that's the part I get because of SOH CAH TOA. It's cosine, CAH, Adjacent over the Hypotenuse. The other one is completely the opposite. I set the problem up just like you did, but I really don't know where to go from there. ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}## That is what is baffling me.
 
Multiply left and right with 50 ?, to get ##?^2 = 50 \times 32##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JR Sauerland
BvU said:
Multiply left and right with 50 ?, to get ##?^2 = 50 \times 32##
Perfect! Now I completely understand the logic behind it! On another note, ##{30\over ?} = {?\over 32}##, if it had been formatted like this, do I simply take the reciprocal like this: ##{?\over 30} = {32\over ?}##
Basically, I'm getting at the fact that the variable (which typically is x) isn't supposed to be on the bottom?
 
JR Sauerland said:
Perfect! Now I completely understand the logic behind it! On another note, ##{30\over ?} = {?\over 32}##, if it had been formatted like this, do I simply take the reciprocal like this: ##{?\over 30} = {32\over ?}##
Basically, I'm getting at the fact that the variable (which typically is x) isn't supposed to be on the bottom?

Do you understand how BvU went from

[tex]\frac{x}{50}=\frac{32}{x}[/tex]
to
[tex]x^2=50\times 32[/tex]
 
Mentallic said:
Do you understand how BvU went from

[tex]\frac{x}{50}=\frac{32}{x}[/tex]
to
[tex]x^2=50\times 32[/tex]
I think so. Didn't he multiply both sides by (50x)? It eliminated x in the denominator of the right side, and squared the x in the left side due to the fact that it was on top. I've heard you could cross multiple too though, although I don't know if it would be completely different or not...
 
JR Sauerland said:
I think so. Didn't he multiply both sides by (50x)? It eliminated x in the denominator of the right side, and squared the x in the left side due to the fact that it was on top. I've heard you could cross multiple too though, although I don't know if it would be completely different or not...

Right, so apply the same idea to your new problem. Taking the reciprocal of both sides is a valid operation, but it doesn't help you because you want to remove the variable from the denominator, which just so happens to give us a quadratic (squared value of x) in this sort of problem.

Also, cross multiplying is exactly multiplying both sides by 50x. It's just a means to help students visualize or to rote learn the process more easily.