I'm having a lot of trouble with similar triangles

• Thread starter JR Sauerland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving writing down cosθ in two different ways and setting up an equation. BvU solves the problem by multiplying both sides by (50x) and eliminating the variable in the denominator. The idea is then applied to a similar problem where the variable is not in the denominator. The concept of cross multiplying is also mentioned as a means to solve such problems.
JR Sauerland
Gold Member
DMg79Du.png

Seriously, I understand it sometimes, but when it hits me with something like this, I'm just baffled...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A matter of writing down ##\cos\theta## in two ways: for the left triangle it's ?/50 and for the right one it's 32/? So ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}##

BvU said:
A matter of writing down ##\cos\theta## in two ways: for the left triangle it's ?/50 and for the right one it's 32/? So ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}##
See, that's the part I get because of SOH CAH TOA. It's cosine, CAH, Adjacent over the Hypotenuse. The other one is completely the opposite. I set the problem up just like you did, but I really don't know where to go from there. ##{?\over 50} = {32\over ?}## That is what is baffling me.

Multiply left and right with 50 ?, to get ##?^2 = 50 \times 32##

Likes JR Sauerland
BvU said:
Multiply left and right with 50 ?, to get ##?^2 = 50 \times 32##
Perfect! Now I completely understand the logic behind it! On another note, ##{30\over ?} = {?\over 32}##, if it had been formatted like this, do I simply take the reciprocal like this: ##{?\over 30} = {32\over ?}##
Basically, I'm getting at the fact that the variable (which typically is x) isn't supposed to be on the bottom?

JR Sauerland said:
Perfect! Now I completely understand the logic behind it! On another note, ##{30\over ?} = {?\over 32}##, if it had been formatted like this, do I simply take the reciprocal like this: ##{?\over 30} = {32\over ?}##
Basically, I'm getting at the fact that the variable (which typically is x) isn't supposed to be on the bottom?

Do you understand how BvU went from

[tex]\frac{x}{50}=\frac{32}{x}[/tex]
to
[tex]x^2=50\times 32[/tex]

Mentallic said:
Do you understand how BvU went from

[tex]\frac{x}{50}=\frac{32}{x}[/tex]
to
[tex]x^2=50\times 32[/tex]
I think so. Didn't he multiply both sides by (50x)? It eliminated x in the denominator of the right side, and squared the x in the left side due to the fact that it was on top. I've heard you could cross multiple too though, although I don't know if it would be completely different or not...

JR Sauerland said:
I think so. Didn't he multiply both sides by (50x)? It eliminated x in the denominator of the right side, and squared the x in the left side due to the fact that it was on top. I've heard you could cross multiple too though, although I don't know if it would be completely different or not...

Right, so apply the same idea to your new problem. Taking the reciprocal of both sides is a valid operation, but it doesn't help you because you want to remove the variable from the denominator, which just so happens to give us a quadratic (squared value of x) in this sort of problem.

Also, cross multiplying is exactly multiplying both sides by 50x. It's just a means to help students visualize or to rote learn the process more easily.

What is a similar triangle?

A similar triangle is a triangle that has the same shape as another triangle, but may have different sizes. This means that the corresponding angles of the two triangles are equal, and the corresponding sides are proportional.

How do I determine if two triangles are similar?

To determine if two triangles are similar, you can use the AA (angle-angle) rule, which states that if two angles of one triangle are equal to two angles of another triangle, then the triangles are similar. You can also use the SAS (side-angle-side) or SSS (side-side-side) rule to determine similarity.

What is the importance of similar triangles in geometry?

Similar triangles are important in geometry because they allow us to solve for unknown values in geometric figures. They also help us understand and prove geometric principles, such as the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How can I solve problems involving similar triangles?

To solve problems involving similar triangles, you can use the proportionality theorem, which states that if two triangles are similar, then the ratio of any two corresponding sides is equal. You may also use the altitude-on-hypotenuse theorem or the midsegment theorem to solve for unknown values.

Can similar triangles have different orientations?

Yes, similar triangles can have different orientations. This means that they may be rotated, reflected, or translated, but their corresponding angles will still be equal and their corresponding sides will still be proportional, making them similar triangles.