Finding the Area of Triangles with Adjoining Sides and Angles

I appreaciate itIn summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for finding the area of a triangle and the correct procedure for solving related problems. The conversation also includes examples of finding the area of a triangle using given side lengths and angles. The use of trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem are mentioned as methods for solving these types of problems. The speaker expresses gratitude for any help or advice on the subject.
H.M. Murdock
Im trying to teach myself some geometry on my own, but I am stuck since some weeks, with a couple of area problems of triangles. I ll really appreciate any help or advice about it.

The formulas for a triangle are:

A=1/2 bh and A=1/2 ab Sen C

The problem says:
-Find the area of a triangle that has two adyacent sides that are 5 and 4 ,and they include an angle that is 45º

I thought that the formula might be A=1/2 ab Sen C

so it would be A= 1/2 (4)(5)(sen 45) = 7.07106...

but the result on the book was = 5 square root of 2

Could I use "sen of 45" in that way? if not what is the correct procedure in order to do that problem?

There are some other similar problems that I can't understand as well:

-Find the area of a triangle that has two adjacent sides that are 8 and 12, and they include an angle that is 60º.

-Find the area of a triangle if two sides are 13 and 15, and the hight over the third side is 12.

Im stuck with those ones since some weeks, I 'll really appreaciate any help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
H.M. Murdock said:
I thought that the formula might be A=1/2 ab Sen C

so it would be A= 1/2 (4)(5)(sen 45) = 7.07106...

but the result on the book was = 5 square root of 2

Your answer is correct, but just expressed differently. Note that sin(45) = sqrt(2)/2--verify with a table of trigonometric values. A calculator does not explicitly reveal the factor, square root of 2.

buffordboy23 said:
Your answer is correct, but just expressed differently. Note that sin(45) = sqrt(2)/2--verify with a table of trigonometric values. A calculator does not explicitly reveal the factor, square root of 2.

Thanks a lot, I appreaciate it.

Im trying to solve this one now:

Find the area of a triangle if two sides are 13 and 15, and the hight over the third side is 12.

Do I need to find the base in the problem? Should I use the pytagorean theorem to get the base in this problem? and if so what should be the procedure?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Yes. Find the base. Use the Pythagorean theorem. You have two right triangles with hypotenuses 13 and 15 and side 12. The sum of the other two sides is the base.

Use trigonometry my friend.

Dick said:
Yes. Find the base. Use the Pythagorean theorem. You have two right triangles with hypotenuses 13 and 15 and side 12. The sum of the other two sides is the base.

thanks a lot

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties, measurements, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids.

2. Why is geometry important?

Geometry is important because it helps us understand and describe the world around us. It is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, art, and physics.

3. What are the different types of geometry?

The main types of geometry are Euclidean, non-Euclidean, and analytic geometry. Euclidean geometry deals with flat or 2-dimensional objects, non-Euclidean geometry deals with curved or 3-dimensional objects, and analytic geometry uses algebraic equations to describe geometric shapes.

4. How can I improve my understanding of geometry?

Some ways to improve your understanding of geometry include practicing problems, using visual aids such as diagrams and models, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

5. What are some real-life applications of geometry?

Geometry has many real-life applications, such as designing buildings and structures, creating maps, measuring land and distances, and understanding the movement of objects in space. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics and game development.