Exploring the Set f(A) of the Function f(x,y)

In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for f(A), and does not know how to do it in set notation. They state that they are not familiar with polar coordinates, but a helpful user explained it to them. The equation they are trying to solve is f(z) = r^2 exp(i*2*theta), where r is the distance from the origin to the point, cos(2*theta) and sin(2*theta) are the angles between the positive x- and y-axis, and 2*theta is in the range (-pi/2,pi/2).
JG89

Homework Statement

Let [tex] f(x,y) = (x^2 - y^2, 2xy) [/tex] where f is defined on the open set [tex] A = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 : x > 0 \} [/tex].

What is the set f(A)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing they're asking me to describe f(A) using set notation. But I don't know how to do this. I've tried plotting a set of points to get an idea what f(A) would look like on the plane, but I can't get any idea whatsoever.

Any help or ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think of (x,y) as the complex variable z=x+iy, then it's the image of the half plane x>0 under mapping f(z)=z^2. Think about expressing it in polar form.

Look at below post...

Dick, I'm not too familiar with polar coordinates so please bear with me.

We can write, [tex] f(z) = (x + iy)^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + i(2xy) [/tex]. Using polar coordinates, we have [tex] r = \sqrt{ (x^2 - y^2)^2 + (2xy)^2 } = \sqrt{ x^4 - 2x^2 y^2 + y^4 + 4x^2y^2} = \sqrt{ x^4 + 2x^2y^2 + y^4} = \sqrt{(x^2 + y^2)^2} = x^2 + y^2. [/tex]

So, we can write [tex] f(z) = (x^2 - y^2) + i(2xy) = (r^2 - 2y^2) + i(2xy)[/tex]. Since [tex] x = r cos(t), y = r sin(t) [/tex] then [tex] f(z) = (r^2 - 2y^2) + i(2xy) = r^2 - 2r^2 sin^2 (t) + i(2r^2sin(t) cos(t)) = r^2 [ 1 - 2sin^2 (t) + i (2 sin(t) cos(t))] = r^2[ cos(2t) + i(sin(2t)] [/tex]. I used a bunch of trig identities for that...

Anyway, so we see that [tex] f(z) = f(x + iy) = f( r[cos(t) + isin(t)]) = r^2[ cos(2t) + i sin(2t)] [/tex].

So the distance from the origin to the point f(z) is r^2 (whereas the distance from the origin to the point z is r) and the polar-angle is 2t, twice the original angle. Now I have a better idea of how f(A) would look on the plane, but I still don't know how to express it with set notation, or in a way that seems appropriate to answer the question.

You are making this way too complicated. And it's also wrong. z=x+iy, r=sqrt(x^2+y^2). If x>0 then z=r*exp(i*theta) where theta is in (-pi/2,pi/2), right? You do know something about complex variables, yes? I was hoping so.

Last edited:
Ok, so [tex] f(z) = f(r e^{i \theta}) = (r e^{i \theta})^2 = r^2 e^{i(2 \theta)} [/tex]

I still don't see anything...

EDIT: I know a bit, but maybe not enough for this question, as I think I might have made an exponent mistake just now because of the complex variables [/tex]

It's simpler than you think. You were setting r equal to |f(z)|. r should be |z| to use the expression you are suggesting. Do you agree -pi/2<theta<pi/2?

f(z) = r^2 exp(i*2*theta) = r^2[ cos(2*theta) + i sin(2*theta) ].

Again it just seems to me that the distance from the origin to f(z) is the square of the distance from the origin to z, and that the angle between the positive x-axis and f(z) is double the angle from the positive x-axis to z. Just the same stuff I said before...

Maybe I need to catch some sleep then think about it in the morning, or am I onto something?...EDIT: Yes, I agree that -pi/2 < theta < pi/2, which would mean that -pi < 2*theta < pi...

JG89 said:
f(z) = r^2 exp(i*2*theta) = r^2[ cos(2*theta) + i sin(2*theta) ].

Again it just seems to me that the distance from the origin to f(z) is the square of the distance from the origin to z, and that the angle between the positive x-axis and f(z) is double the angle from the positive x-axis to z. Just the same stuff I said before...

Maybe I need to catch some sleep then think about it in the morning, or am I onto something?...

EDIT: Yes, I agree that -pi/2 < theta < pi/2, which would mean that -pi < 2*theta < pi...

Yeah, you are just picturing this wrong somehow. f(A) is ALL points where r>0 and -pi<theta<pi. ALL of them. f(A) isn't some kind of curve.

So f(A) is just the plane, minus the origin and the negative x-axis?

JG89 said:
So f(A) is just the plane, minus the origin and the negative x-axis?

That's my conclusion.

Ahhh, I see it now. Thanks for the help. I have a similar question just with a different map, so I'm going to go work on that now. I should be fine with it :)

1. What is the definition of the set f(A)?

The set f(A) of a function f(x,y) is the collection of all output values obtained by plugging in values from the input set A into the function. In other words, it is the range of the function f(x,y).

2. How do I explore the set f(A) of a function?

To explore the set f(A) of a function, you can first identify the input set A and then plug in various values from A into the function f(x,y) to obtain the corresponding output values. You can also graph the function to visualize the set f(A).

3. What is the importance of exploring the set f(A) of a function?

Exploring the set f(A) of a function can help us understand the behavior and properties of the function. It can also help us identify any patterns or relationships between the input and output values, which can be useful in solving problems or making predictions.

4. Can the set f(A) of a function be infinite?

Yes, the set f(A) of a function can be infinite. This can happen if the input set A is infinite or if the function f(x,y) has an infinite range. For example, the function f(x) = x^2 has a set f(A) that includes all positive real numbers, making it infinite.

5. How is the set f(A) of a function related to its inverse function?

The set f(A) of a function and its inverse function are related in that the set f(A) of a function f(x,y) is the input set for its inverse function f^-1(x,y). In other words, the input and output values of a function and its inverse function are swapped. This means that exploring the set f(A) can also help us understand the set f^-1(A) and vice versa.