Image spanned by its eigenvectos

• Thread starter yanky
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the question is whether the image of a mapping from R^2 to R^2, defined by a 2x2 matrix W, is spanned by the eigenvectors of W. The answer is "yes" because the eigenvectors of W form a linearly independent set and the image of W is the smallest subspace spanned by all vectors in W. An example is given where W= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix} and the eigenvectors are multiples of \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}, but the image of W is all of R^2.
yanky
Here's the question I'm stuck at:
Suppose a mapping from R^2 -> R^2 is defined by some 2x2 matrix W. Is the image of W spanned by the eigenvectors of W? Why or why not?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the eigenvectos of W for a linearly independent set. I also know that the set spanning W will consist of the smallest subspace of W consisting of linear combinations of all vectors in W. But I'm confused about what the eigenvectors actually are. I'm assuming that the answer is "yes", but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose
[tex]W= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Then all eigenvectors or W are multiples of
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
but the image of W is all or R2.

I can provide a response to this question by first clarifying the concept of eigenvectors and then explaining the relationship between eigenvectors and the image of a matrix.

Eigenvectors are special vectors that remain unchanged in direction when multiplied by a matrix. They only change in magnitude, which is represented by a scalar value called the eigenvalue. In other words, when a matrix is multiplied by its eigenvectors, the resulting vector is a scalar multiple of the original eigenvector.

Now, let's consider the mapping from R^2 -> R^2 defined by the 2x2 matrix W. The image of this mapping is the set of all possible outputs when the matrix W is applied to any input vector in R^2. In other words, the image of W is the set of all vectors that can be obtained by multiplying W with any vector in R^2.

Since eigenvectors are unchanged in direction when multiplied by a matrix, they form a basis for the image of W. This means that any vector in the image of W can be expressed as a linear combination of the eigenvectors of W. Therefore, the image of W is spanned by its eigenvectors.

To summarize, the answer to the question is yes, the image of W is spanned by its eigenvectors. This is because eigenvectors form a basis for the image of a matrix, and any vector in the image can be expressed as a linear combination of these eigenvectors.

Related to Image spanned by its eigenvectos

What is an image spanned by its eigenvectors?

An image spanned by its eigenvectors refers to the set of all possible linear combinations of the eigenvectors of a given matrix. This represents the range of the linear transformation defined by the matrix.

Why is the image spanned by its eigenvectors important?

The image spanned by its eigenvectors provides valuable information about the properties and behavior of a linear transformation. It can help determine the dimension and rank of the transformation, as well as provide insights into its eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

How can the image spanned by its eigenvectors be calculated?

The image spanned by its eigenvectors can be calculated by finding the eigenvectors of the matrix and then taking all possible linear combinations of these eigenvectors. This can be done using techniques such as diagonalization or the power method.

What is the relationship between the image spanned by its eigenvectors and the null space of a matrix?

The image spanned by its eigenvectors and the null space of a matrix are complementary concepts. The image spanned by its eigenvectors represents the range of a linear transformation, while the null space represents the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation.

Can the image spanned by its eigenvectors be used to determine the diagonalizability of a matrix?

Yes, the image spanned by its eigenvectors can be used to determine the diagonalizability of a matrix. A matrix is diagonalizable if and only if its eigenvectors span its entire image. If the image spanned by the eigenvectors is not equal to the image of the matrix, then the matrix is not diagonalizable.