How Do You Calculate Impact Force for Falling Objects?

In summary: The static load is the weight of the object, the suddenly applied load is the weight of the object when it is suddenly applied to the object, and the dropped load is the weight of the object when it is dropped from a height. The static load is the weight of the object, the suddenly applied load is the weight of the object when it is suddenly applied to the object, and the dropped load is the weight of the object when it is dropped from a height. The static load is 1.0, the suddenly applied load is 2.0, and the dropped load is 3.0.
david robinson
Could someone please help with this rudimentry calculation. I need to know the difference in the energy at impact between the following two scenarios.

1) 2 lbs falling under gravity from 8 feet with an impact area of 12 mm.

2) 4 lbs falling under gravity from 4 feet with an impact area of 4 mm.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Energy is not measured in lbs force.

Realize that the kinetic energy (measured in ft-lbs) at impact is very different from the force of the impact (measured in lbs).

The KE is easy to figure: it's equal to the initial gravitational potential energy = mgh. So both (1) and (2) have the same energy at impact = 2*8 = 4*4 = 16 ft-lbs. (Note that they don't hit with the same momentum (mv); the 4 lb object has greater momentum at impact.)

The impact force is not easy to figure. The average force of impact is a measure of the rate of change of the momentum. (The quicker an object is brought to rest, the greater the average force.) The duration of the impact depends on many things, such as the type of materials involved (steel against steel, etc.), shape, etc. You have not provided sufficient information to calculate the force. (But perhaps an engineer could take a guess as to the relative forces involved based on the behavior of typical materials.)

Thanks. If all surfaces were steel and of the same cylindrical shape would that help.

To calculate impact force, you need to model the two objects that are colliding. Often this isn't easy. They act as springy/spongy masses, so that some of the mass is stopped almost instantly upon collision and some of the mass farther back stops more slowly. Often the objects are modeled similar to springs with a 'spring constant' in force per unit length. Once you calculate the kinetic energy at impact you can then equate that energy to the energy of the 'spring' and find the force over time and peak force.

As stated above both cylinders would have the same energy, and exert the same force upon collision.

But for one of them that force is concentrated into a smaller area, meaning that the smaller has 3 times higher pressure!

The answer is the 4 mm cylinder hits 3 times harder..

Crosson said:
As stated above both cylinders would have the same energy, and exert the same force upon collision.
It's not obvious to me that both collisions generate the same impact force.

I have a post in here where I was trying to find the same problem. An older engineer eventually came to me with an *cough ancient cough* handwritten textbook. It had approximations for falling objects based on velocity at impact and static deflection.

I will search for that thread and post what I ended up using, because as said, impact force is quite difficult to actually find. Back in school they would give you a nice impulse - time graph...which obviously doesn't happen in real life.

I found the equations, and here they are:

Load Factors
Static Load: 1.0
Suddenly Applied: 2.0
Suddenly Applied and Reversed: 3.0
Dropped from a height h: k
where k = 1 + ((d² + dv²)^.5)/d
and v = velocity
and d = static deflection

Last edited:

1. What is impact force and why is it important?

Impact force is the amount of force exerted on an object by a collision or sudden impact. It is important because it can help determine the severity of injuries or damage caused by an impact.

2. How do you calculate impact force?

Impact force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its acceleration during the impact. The formula is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What are the units for impact force?

The units for impact force are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does the duration of impact affect the impact force?

The longer the duration of impact, the less the impact force will be. This is because a longer duration allows for the force to be distributed over a larger area, decreasing the overall impact force.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of impact force calculations?

The accuracy of impact force calculations can be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and the elasticity of the objects involved in the impact. Additionally, factors like the shape and angle of the objects can also impact the accuracy of the calculations.