Impedance matching derivation (next best after complex conjugate method)

In summary: So there has to be some other explanation. I don't know what. Sorry.In summary, the second best method for impedance matching after the complex conjugate method is to have the load impedance (Z_L) equal to the magnitude of the source impedance (Z_s). This assumes that the load can only be resistive, not complex. The reason for this assumption may be related to minimizing the reflection coefficient, but this is not certain.
Tetraoxygen
(This is not a question I was given to solve, it is a question about the course notes.)

Homework Statement

In impedance matching, what is the next best method after the complex conjugate method?
If the source has V_s and Z_s, what should Z_L be?
V_s, Z_s, and Z_L are in series.

Homework Equations

The best impedance match is when Z_s = (Z_L)*
And this was derived from maximum power transfer, or
P = (I_rms)^2 * R_L = 1/2 * (|V_s|/( |Z_s + Z_L| )) = ...

The Attempt at a Solution

The notes say
Z_L = R = |Z_s|

This says the next best choice is having Z_L be a resistance equal to the magnitude of Z_s.

However, from the math I did, this assumes that there cannot be a reactance for Z_L.
Why this assumption?

Edit: Why is this the "second-best method"? Why is there the assumption that there is no load reactance?
(I do not have any criteria either. It is from a handout. I will ask the professor after the 1st day of class, I guess.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tetraoxygen;4051178[h2 said:
The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
The notes say
Z_L = R = |Z_s|

This says the next best choice is having Z_L be a resistance equal to the magnitude of Z_s.

However, from the math I did, this assumes that there cannot be a reactance for Z_L.
Why this assumption?

By defintion, |Z_s| is a real quantity, i.e. a resistance, not a complex impedance.

As to what constitutes "second-best" matching impedance I have no idea. No criterion(a) was/were offered.

rude man said:
By defintion, |Z_s| is a real quantity, i.e. a resistance, not a complex impedance.

As to what constitutes "second-best" matching impedance I have no idea. No criterion(a) was/were offered.
I am aware that this method yields a real number.

My question is, why is this the second best matching impedance.

No criteria were offered to me either...

Anyone with real-world experience?

OK I think I know.

What is meant is: if a complex load is not permitted, i.e. if it has to be resistive, then the highest power transfer is when Z_L = R = |Z_s|. And that is correct.

(Has to be that: otherwise you could just say, OK, let Z_L = R_s - jX_s + ε where Z_s = R_s + jX_s and ε is an arbitrarily small resistance!)

So: can you proceed with that info? Hint: what is |i|, the current? Then what is power P_L, then how do you determine optimum R_L for max P_L?

rude man said:
OK I think I know.

What is meant is: if a complex load is not permitted, i.e. if it has to be resistive, then the highest power transfer is when Z_L = R = |Z_s|. And that is correct.

(Has to be that: otherwise you could just say, OK, let Z_L = R_s - jX_s + ε where Z_s = R_s + jX_s and ε is an arbitrarily small resistance!)

So: can you proceed with that info? Hint: what is |i|, the current? Then what is power P_L, then how do you determine optimum R_L for max P_L?
I'm sorry, but that is not what I meant.

I want to know Why is a complex load not permitted in the second best method? Why is this the second best method?

I've already done the math showing that this R_L corresponds to maximizing P_L when Z_L is only a resistance, not a reactance.

Tetraoxygen said:
I'm sorry, but that is not what I meant.

I want to know Why is a complex load not permitted in the second best method? Why is this the second best method?

I've already done the math showing that this R_L corresponds to maximizing P_L when Z_L is only a resistance, not a reactance.

There used to be a commercial on TV about a hair dye product that went: "Only your hairdresser knows for sure".

Only your instructor knows for sure.

So the bad news: The professor does not remember any more why this is so. :( He said it was just best practices.

And the better news: He says it may have something to to do with minimizing the reflection coefficient.

Thoughts?

Tetraoxygen said:
So the bad news: .

And the better news: He says it may have something to to do with minimizing the reflection coefficient.

Thoughts?

Can't be that either. You'd get zero reflection coefficient if Z_L = Z_s. So if Z_s is complex, so is Z_L.

1. What is impedance matching?

Impedance matching is the process of adjusting the impedance of a circuit to match the impedance of the source or load. This is done to minimize signal reflections and maximize power transfer.

2. Why is impedance matching important?

Impedance matching is important because it allows for efficient transfer of power and minimizes signal reflections. This is especially important in high frequency circuits where signal integrity is critical.

3. What is the derivation for impedance matching?

The derivation for impedance matching involves using the complex conjugate method, which states that the maximum power transfer occurs when the load impedance is equal to the complex conjugate of the source impedance.

4. What is the next best method after the complex conjugate method for impedance matching?

The next best method after the complex conjugate method for impedance matching is the Smith Chart method. This method involves using a graphical tool to determine the appropriate matching network for a given impedance.

5. How does impedance matching affect circuit performance?

Impedance matching affects circuit performance by minimizing signal reflections and maximizing power transfer. This results in improved signal integrity and overall circuit efficiency.