Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Impedence transfer?

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,
    I have encountered some sort of notation that I am not familiar with in regards to impedance. As an example, I have depicted a network here
    hehe.jpg
    The top loop is considered loop 1, the bottom-left loop is considered loop 2, while the bottom-right loop is loop 3.
    [tex]R_2=5, R_3=10, R_1 2, C_1=C-2=-j4, L_1=j5, V=50e^{j0}[/tex]
    Using mesh currents [tex]I_1, I_2, I_3[/tex] in clock-wise direction, find [tex]Z_{input1}, Z_{transfer12}, Z_{transfer13}[/tex]
    I cannot seem to find anything in my notes regarding this... Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    I believe
    [tex]Z_{input1}=\frac{50e^{j0}}{I_1}[/tex]
    However, the "transfer12" and "transfer13" impedances are not making any sense to me.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

The Electrician

Gold Member

They want you to set up the impedance matrix (Z matrix) for the circuit. Since there are 3 loops, the matrix will be a 3x3 matrix.

The elements on the main diagonal, the Z(n,n) with n = 1 to 3, are the driving point impedances. The off diagonal elements are the transfer impedances.

Zinput1 will be the 1,1 element of the Z matrix. Ztransfer12 will be the 1,2 element, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook