1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedence transfer?

1. Jan 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,
    I have encountered some sort of notation that I am not familiar with in regards to impedance. As an example, I have depicted a network here
    hehe.jpg
    The top loop is considered loop 1, the bottom-left loop is considered loop 2, while the bottom-right loop is loop 3.
    [tex]R_2=5, R_3=10, R_1 2, C_1=C-2=-j4, L_1=j5, V=50e^{j0}[/tex]
    Using mesh currents [tex]I_1, I_2, I_3[/tex] in clock-wise direction, find [tex]Z_{input1}, Z_{transfer12}, Z_{transfer13}[/tex]
    I cannot seem to find anything in my notes regarding this... Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    I believe
    [tex]Z_{input1}=\frac{50e^{j0}}{I_1}[/tex]
    However, the "transfer12" and "transfer13" impedances are not making any sense to me.

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3

The Electrician

Gold Member

They want you to set up the impedance matrix (Z matrix) for the circuit. Since there are 3 loops, the matrix will be a 3x3 matrix.

The elements on the main diagonal, the Z(n,n) with n = 1 to 3, are the driving point impedances. The off diagonal elements are the transfer impedances.

Zinput1 will be the 1,1 element of the Z matrix. Ztransfer12 will be the 1,2 element, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook