Imperial-Metric Unit conversion for Magnetic Field Gradiometer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnetic field vertical gradiometers in geophysical surveying and the calculation of the magnetic field gradient. The conversation also addresses the issue of converting the output units from ΔnT/Δft to ΔnT/Δm and the potential impact of the inverse cube relationship on this conversion. The expert confirms that the conversion is correct and explains the formula for an inverse cube fall-off.
Calcifur
Hi all,

I have a question which I think should be a simple solve for most people but I cannot seem to get my head around it.

It is a common case in geophysical surveying that a magnetic field vertical gradiometer might be used.
This instrument uses two magnetometers separated by a known distance (along the vertical axis) and calculates the magnetic field gradient by subtracting the magnetic total field measured at one from the other (unit: ΔTeslas) then dividing by their separation distance (unit: metres or feet) (i.e. ΔB/Δx).
Gradiometers are often used in geophysics for detecting ferrous anomalies below the Earth's surface by measuring the anomaly's effect on the local magnetic field without the need to filter out smaller scale diurnal, or geological variations. It has its uses for buried object detection and rare mineral exploration etc.

To clarify once more, a local magnetic field gradient is calculated by the following formula:
Grad =(B1-B2)/z
Where:

B1= The magnetic field reading for the first (i.e. Top) magnetometer (in nT).

B2= The magnetic field reading for the second (i.e. Bottom) magnetometer (in nT).

z= The vertical separation.

Currently, I am employed on a survey using a vertical gradiometer that outputs only the final vertical gradient value (Grad) and not the original measurements i.e. B1 and B2 (Hard to believe, I know!:rolleyes:).
The vertical separation between magnetometers is exactly 1ft), i.e. Grad =(B1-B2)/1ft meaning it's output units are in ΔnT/Δft. The problem is I need the value in ΔnT/Δm.

... I thought that this would be an easy fix: 1m= 3.28084ft meaning ΔnT/Δm = (ΔnT/Δft)*3.28084.

However, I suspect this isn't correct due to the fact that I know the magnetic field fall off rate is not a linear relationship.

The magnetic field measured by a magnetometer for an anomaly degrades with sensor to anomaly distance by an inverse cube relationship, thereby meaning if the centre position of the gradiometer was constant but the separation was increased, Magnetometer B1 would be increased in height, and B2 would decrease. B1's field readings would decay at a rate of B1^-3 with distance as the sensor moves away from the object, B2 would increase at a rate of B2^3.

My question is this: Do I need to factor the above relationship into my conversion from ΔnT/Δft to ΔnT/Δm ? If so, how do I do this?

Many thanks in anticipation guys, you always help me out in a jam!

Calcifur

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is completely correct: You multiplied the (vector=it has units) quantity ## \frac{dB_z}{dz} ## in nT per foot, (## \frac{nT}{ft.} ##), by ## 1=\frac{3.28084 \, ft.}{1 \, meter} ## and the ## ft. ## cancels in numerator and denominator , leaving you with the vector (it has units) ## \frac{dB_z}{dz} ## in units of ## \frac{nT}{meter} ##. ## \\ ## Your second question is basically answered by ## \vec{B}(\vec{r})=\vec{B}_o (\vec{r}_o) \frac{|\vec{r}_o|^3}{|\vec{r}|^3} ## for an inverse cube fall-off. ## \\ ## (Note: If you let ## \vec{r}=\vec{r}_o ##, we also get the correct value ## \vec{B}(\vec{r}_o)=\vec{B}(\vec{r}_o) ## with this formula.)

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
What you did is completely correct: You multiplied the (vector=it has units) quantity ## \frac{dB_z}{dz} ## in nT per foot, (## \frac{nT}{ft.} ##), by ## 1=\frac{3.28084 \, ft.}{1 \, meter} ## and the ## ft. ## cancels in numerator and denominator , leaving you with the vector (it has units) ## \frac{dB_z}{dz} ## in units of ## \frac{nT}{meter} ##. ## \\ ## Your second question is basically answered by ## \vec{B}(\vec{r})=\vec{B}_o (\vec{r}_o) \frac{|\vec{r}_o|^3}{|\vec{r}|^3} ## for an inverse cube fall-off. ## \\ ## (Note: If you let ## \vec{r}=\vec{r}_o ##, we also get the correct value ## \vec{B}(\vec{r}_o)=\vec{B}(\vec{r}_o) ## with this formula.)

Hi Charles,

I understand it now!
Very many thanks for coming back to me, your response was clear and informative.

Once again, very much appreciated.

Calcifur

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the difference between imperial and metric units?

Imperial units, also known as the British system, are a system of measurement that was historically used in the United Kingdom and its colonies. It includes units such as inches, feet, and pounds. Metric units, on the other hand, are a decimal-based system of measurement that is used in most countries around the world. It includes units such as meters, kilograms, and liters.

2. Why is it important to convert between imperial and metric units for magnetic field gradiometer measurements?

Converting between imperial and metric units is important for magnetic field gradiometer measurements because different units can affect the accuracy and precision of the measurements. Additionally, different countries may use different units, so conversions are necessary for international collaboration and communication.

3. How do you convert from imperial to metric units for magnetic field gradiometer measurements?

To convert from imperial to metric units for magnetic field gradiometer measurements, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from inches to centimeters, you can multiply the measurement in inches by 2.54. It is important to use accurate conversion factors and to ensure that the units are consistent throughout the calculation.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when converting between imperial and metric units for magnetic field gradiometer measurements?

One common mistake to avoid when converting between imperial and metric units for magnetic field gradiometer measurements is mixing up the units. For example, converting from feet to centimeters instead of feet to meters. It is also important to double-check the accuracy of the conversion factors used and to ensure that the units are consistent throughout the calculation.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to assist with imperial-metric unit conversion for magnetic field gradiometer?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to assist with imperial-metric unit conversion for magnetic field gradiometer measurements. These include conversion calculators, conversion charts, and online conversion tools. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of the conversion factors and to double-check the accuracy of the conversions using multiple sources.