Implicit Differentiation of Multivariable Functions

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the partial derivatives of x and y with respect to r and s implicitly. The participants are discussing their attempts at using implicit differentiation and the discrepancies they encountered. One person provides their solution, while another points out a potential mistake in the equation and clarifies the presence of a derivative for s with respect to r.
Treadstone 71
[tex]x^2+y^2+r^2-2s=13=0[/tex]
[tex]x^3-y^3-r^3+3s+59=0[/tex]

How do I find the partial derivatives of x(r,s) or y(r,s) implicitly? I tried implicit differentiation and I got 2 different answers for either. Can someone show me any of the 4 derivatives step-by-step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treadstone 71 said:
[tex]x^2+y^2+r^2-2s=13=0[/tex]
[tex]x^3-y^3-r^3+3s+59=0[/tex]
How do I find the partial derivatives of x(r,s) or y(r,s) implicitly? I tried implicit differentiation and I got 2 different answers for either. Can someone show me any of the 4 derivatives step-by-step?

Please, show us what you have done

marlon

[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+2r=0[/tex]
[tex]3x^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}-3r^2=0[/tex]

[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+2r=3x^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}-3r^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2r+3r^2}{3x^2-2x}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex]

This is what I get if I equate them. If I solve for dx/dr individually and then add the equations, I get something else.

An answer before 2PM tomorrow will be appreciated! (Final exam)

Hmm, I'm not positive about this, but isn't it something like
[tex]F(x,y,s,r)=x^2+y^2+r^2-2s+13=0[/itex]
So
[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}=-\frac{\frac{\partial F}{\partial s}}{\frac{
\partial F}{\partial x}}=-\frac{-2}{2x}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}=-\frac{1}{x^2} \times \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex]
And
[tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}=-\frac{2r}{2x}=-\frac{r}{x}[/tex]
so we have
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r \partial s} =\frac{r}{x^3}[/tex]

Treadstone 71 said:
[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+2r=0[/tex]
[tex]3x^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}-3r^2=0[/tex]
y is also a function of r. You are differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to r. The derivative of x2+ y2+ r2- 2s+ 13= 0 with respect to r is
[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+ 2y\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}+ 2r= 0[/tex]

I think it should be dy/dr. It gives me the right answer when it is. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
y is also a function of r. You are differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to r. The derivative of x2+ y2+ r2- 2s+ 13= 0 with respect to r is
[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+ 2y\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}+ 2r= 0[/tex]

Potentially stupid question, but that doesn't make sense to me. I would expect that to be:
[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+ 2y\frac{\partial y}{\partial r} + 2r - 2 \frac{\partial s}{\partial r}=0[/tex]

Since [itex]s[/itex] is also a function of [itex]r[/itex]. Can you clarify why there is no [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}[/itex] term?

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not written in terms of a single variable. This is usually necessary when the equation is too complex to be solved for a single variable.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when an equation cannot be easily solved for a single variable, or when the equation contains multiple variables that are not explicitly defined in terms of each other.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

To perform implicit differentiation, the standard rules of differentiation are applied to both sides of the equation, treating each variable as if it were a function of the other variables. The resulting equation is then solved for the derivative of the desired variable.

4. What is the purpose of implicit differentiation?

The purpose of implicit differentiation is to find the derivative of an equation that cannot be easily solved for a single variable. This allows us to analyze the rate of change of a function that is defined implicitly, without having to explicitly solve for the function.

5. What are some applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to study relationships between variables that are not explicitly defined. It is also used in curve sketching, optimization problems, and other areas of calculus.