1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1
    [tex]x^2+y^2+r^2-2s=13=0[/tex]
    [tex]x^3-y^3-r^3+3s+59=0[/tex]

How do I find the partial derivatives of x(r,s) or y(r,s) implicitly? I tried implicit differentiation and I got 2 different answers for either. Can someone show me any of the 4 derivatives step-by-step?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2
    Please, show us what you have done

marlon

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    [tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+2r=0[/tex]
    [tex]3x^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}-3r^2=0[/tex]

[tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+2r=3x^2\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}-3r^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2r+3r^2}{3x^2-2x}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex]

This is what I get if I equate them. If I solve for dx/dr individually and then add the equations, I get something else.

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4
    An answer before 2PM tomorrow will be appreciated! (Final exam)

6. Dec 6, 2005 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm, I'm not positive about this, but isn't it something like
    [tex]F(x,y,s,r)=x^2+y^2+r^2-2s+13=0[/itex]
    So
    [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}=-\frac{\frac{\partial F}{\partial s}}{\frac{
    \partial F}{\partial x}}=-\frac{-2}{2x}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}=-\frac{1}{x^2} \times \frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex]
    And
    [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}=-\frac{2r}{2x}=-\frac{r}{x}[/tex]
    so we have
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r \partial s} =\frac{r}{x^3}[/tex]

7. Dec 6, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

y is also a function of r. You are differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to r. The derivative of x2+ y2+ r2- 2s+ 13= 0 with respect to r is
    [tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+ 2y\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}+ 2r= 0[/tex]

8. Dec 6, 2005 #7
    I think it should be dy/dr. It gives me the right answer when it is. Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  9. Dec 7, 2005 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Potentially stupid question, but that doesn't make sense to me. I would expect that to be:
    [tex]2x\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+ 2y\frac{\partial y}{\partial r} + 2r - 2 \frac{\partial s}{\partial r}=0[/tex]

Since [itex]s[/itex] is also a function of [itex]r[/itex]. Can you clarify why there is no [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}[/itex] term?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?