Finding Partial Derivatives with Implicit Differentiation

In summary, the homework statement asks for someone to find the derivative of z with respect to x. After coming up with the answer, the student realizes that they did the algebra wrong and need to find the derivative of z with respect to x again.
ktobrien

Homework Statement

Use implicit differentiation to find ∂z/∂x and ∂z/∂y
yz = ln(x + z)

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with
(x+2)/(x+2)(1-xy-yz)

Could someone please help me solve this. I know to treat y as a constant and to multiply all the derivatives of z by ∂z/∂x

Physics news on Phys.org
if y=constant

the left side is just y(∂z/∂x)

so now for ln(x+z) what happens when you differentiate this w.r.t to x ?

well I get 1/(x+z)(1+(∂z/∂x)). But this is what I did when I got the incorrect answer.

That's fine for the right side if you are doing d/dx. What's the left side? Isn't it (dy/dx)*z+y*(dz/dx)? I don't understand how your answer doesn't contain any derivatives.

Because that's what I am trying find. You differentiate z with respect to x.
y(∂z/∂x)=1/(x+z)(1+(∂z/∂x)) is what I got but I don't think its right and if it is I messed something up when I solved for (∂z/∂x)

You can't eliminate all of the derivatives from the solution of either dz/dx or dz/dy. Each solution has to contain the partial derivative of z wrt to the other variable.

there are two different answers. the answer i got was just for ∂z/∂x. can someone please tell me if I did it right or not.

No. You didn't do it right. If you are solving for dz/dx how can you get rid of dy/dx?

y is a constant when you solve implicitly for (∂z/∂x)

ktobrien said:
y is a constant when you solve implicitly for (∂z/∂x)

Of course it is. Sorry. I wasn't thinking. y(∂z/∂x)=(1/(x+z))*(1+(∂z/∂x)) is fine for a start. Now what do you get when you solve for ∂z/∂x?

I figured it out. Thanks though. I got the wrong answer because I did the algebra wrong. I just assumed I did the calculus wrong. Thanks again.

Related to Finding Partial Derivatives with Implicit Differentiation

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. It is especially useful for finding the derivative of implicit equations, where both the dependent and independent variables are present in the equation.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable. In contrast, implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is not written explicitly in terms of the independent variable.

3. What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for performing implicit differentiation are as follows:1. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.2. Treat the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable.3. Use the chain rule for any terms that involve the dependent variable.4. Simplify the resulting expression to solve for the derivative of the dependent variable.

4. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when finding the derivative of a function that cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. This may occur when the function is not written explicitly in terms of the independent variable or when the function is too complex to solve for the dependent variable directly.

5. What are some applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to model relationships between variables that are not directly measurable. It is also used in optimization problems, where the derivative of an implicit function is used to find the maximum or minimum value of the function.