1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use implicit differentiation to find ∂z/∂x and ∂z/∂y
    yz = ln(x + z)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I came up with
    (x+2)/(x+2)(1-xy-yz)

Could someone please help me solve this. I know to treat y as a constant and to multiply all the derivatives of z by ∂z/∂x

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

if y=constant

the left side is just y(∂z/∂x)

so now for ln(x+z) what happens when you differentiate this w.r.t to x ?

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    well I get 1/(x+z)(1+(∂z/∂x)). But this is what I did when I got the incorrect answer.

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's fine for the right side if you are doing d/dx. What's the left side? Isn't it (dy/dx)*z+y*(dz/dx)? I don't understand how your answer doesn't contain any derivatives.

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    Because thats what im trying find. You differentiate z with respect to x.
    y(∂z/∂x)=1/(x+z)(1+(∂z/∂x)) is what I got but I dont think its right and if it is I messed something up when I solved for (∂z/∂x)

7. Sep 21, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't eliminate all of the derivatives from the solution of either dz/dx or dz/dy. Each solution has to contain the partial derivative of z wrt to the other variable.

8. Sep 21, 2009 #7
    there are two different answers. the answer i got was just for ∂z/∂x. can someone please tell me if I did it right or not.

9. Sep 21, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You didn't do it right. If you are solving for dz/dx how can you get rid of dy/dx?

10. Sep 21, 2009 #9
    y is a constant when you solve implicitly for (∂z/∂x)

11. Sep 22, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it is. Sorry. I wasn't thinking. y(∂z/∂x)=(1/(x+z))*(1+(∂z/∂x)) is fine for a start. Now what do you get when you solve for ∂z/∂x?

12. Sep 22, 2009 #11
    I figured it out. Thanks though. I got the wrong answer because I did the algebra wrong. I just assumed I did the calculus wrong. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook