1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1
    The function of a line is y^2 + x^3 = 9. I calculated the slope of its tangent to be -3x^2/2y. The question asked us to find a point(s) so that the equation of its tangent line is y + 6x = 13. So it's slope must be -6 at that point.

I got (2,1) as a point. Are there more than one, or is that the only one?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

well you will have 3x2/2y =6 such that x2=4y

So for each 'x' you pick, there will be a corresponding value of 'y' from that relation. Yes (2,1) is a point, so is (-2,1)

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3
    But if the point is (-2,1), then the equation for the tangent line can't be y + 6x = 13, because (-2,1) isn't on the line y + 6x = 13.

5. Mar 6, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So here's what you know:
    For the curve y^2 + x^3 = 9 (it's not a line, as you stated), y' = -3x^2/(2y).
    The slope of the specified tangent line is -6.
    Equating those values gives x^2 = 4y ==> x = +/-2sqrt(y)

Now substitute for x in the equation of the tangent line y = -6x + 13. This gives you two values of y, one of which is y = 1. The other is extraneous.

Now substitute this y value in the equation of your curve y^2 + x^3 = 9, and you get only one x-value.

(-2, 1) is not a point on your curve.

6. Mar 6, 2010 #5
    So the only point is (2,1) as I stated in my first post, right?

7. Mar 6, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Right. (2, 1) and (2, -1) are both points on the graph of the curve, but only the first point has a tangent whose slope is -6.

8. Mar 6, 2010 #7
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook