Implict differentiation and price

In summary, the two people are trying to find the rate of change of the price of almonds over time, but are having some difficulty. They use implicit differentiation and get different answers depending on the units they use.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
When the price of a 400g bag of almonds is p dollars per bag, customers demand x hundred bags of almonds where x^2+4px+p^3=81. At what rate is the demand x changing with respect to time when the price is $4 per bag and decreasing at a rate of 20 cents per month?
Relevant Equations
x^2+4px+p^3=81
For this one I did implicit differentiation. Where I then obtained y'=(-2x-4p)/(4x+3p2).

Once I had this I plugged in my values where p is $4 per bag and x is 20 cents.

I plugged in my values y'= (-2(20)-4(4))/(4(20)+3(4)2) =-7/16.

However when I checked this answer it was incorrect and I am unsure of where I am going wrong.

I also tried to do it with -20 substituted since it is decreasing and y'= (-2(-20)-4(4))/(4(-20)+3(4)2) = -0.75, however this was incorrect as well.

I am unsure of where to go from here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using implicit differentiation is the right idea, but you have some problems in the implementation. First of all, since you are looking for a rate of change with time, you need to differentiate the demand curve with respect to time ##t##. You will get terms with ##x##, ##p##, ##\dot x##, and ##\dot p## in them in various combinations. There shouldn't be a ##y## in any of the terms.

Second, you need to use commensurate units. The price ##p## is given in $, and the time rate of change of price is given in cents/month. If the answer is to make any sense, you need to convert the $ to cents for the price, or the cents/month to $/month for the price rate of change. You will also need to figure out what units to state the answer in.

Third, you have incorrectly used 20 cents for the initial demand. Demand is not a price, it is the number of bags of almonds that can be sold at a given price, so it should be in units of bags of almonds, not cents. You can calculate the demand ##x## by substituting the initial value of ##p## into the demand curve equation and solving for ##x##.

tnich said:
Using implicit differentiation is the right idea, but you have some problems in the implementation. First of all, since you are looking for a rate of change with time, you need to differentiate the demand curve with respect to time ##t##. You will get terms with ##x##, ##p##, ##\dot x##, and ##\dot p## in them in various combinations. There shouldn't be a ##y## in any of the terms.

Second, you need to use commensurate units. The price ##p## is given in $, and the time rate of change of price is given in cents/month. If the answer is to make any sense, you need to convert the $ to cents for the price, or the cents/month to $/month for the price rate of change. You will also need to figure out what units to state the answer in.

Third, you have incorrectly used 20 cents for the initial demand. Demand is not a price, it is the number of bags of almonds that can be sold at a given price, so it should be in units of bags of almonds, not cents. You can calculate the demand ##x## by substituting the initial value of ##p## into the demand curve equation and solving for ##x##.
So I realized all of the mistakes I made. Instead of substituting -20, I must do -0.20 I think. I differentiated with respect to t. I solved for x to obtain x=1 and x=-17. I substituted my values into the equation this included dp/dt=-0.2, p=4, x=1 since -17 cannot be used. I got the answer 26/45 or 0.58 rounded to two decimals.

Likes tnich
ver_mathstats said:
So I realized all of the mistakes I made. Instead of substituting -20, I must do -0.20 I think. I differentiated with respect to t. I solved for x to obtain x=1 and x=-17. I substituted my values into the equation this included dp/dt=-0.2, p=4, x=1 since -17 cannot be used. I got the answer 26/45 or 0.58 rounded to two decimals.
That's what I got, too.

1. What is implicit differentiation and how is it used in economics?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in the form of y=f(x). In economics, it is used to find the relationship between two variables that are not directly stated, such as price and quantity demanded.

2. How does implicit differentiation help in understanding price changes?

Implicit differentiation helps in understanding price changes by allowing economists to determine the sensitivity of price to changes in other factors, such as demand or supply. It also helps in analyzing the impact of different pricing strategies on overall market dynamics.

3. Can implicit differentiation be applied to any economic model?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be applied to any economic model as long as it involves a relationship between two or more variables. It is a widely used technique in economic analysis and is applicable to various models, such as supply and demand, production function, and cost function.

4. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit differentiation is the way the equation is expressed. Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of an equation that is in the form of y=f(x), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. On the other hand, implicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in this form.

5. What are the limitations of using implicit differentiation in economic analysis?

While implicit differentiation is a powerful tool in economic analysis, it has some limitations. It assumes that the relationship between variables is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts, which may be a challenge for some economists.