Importance of Current density?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrical current density in place of total electrical current and the advantages of using it. Current density is a local property and is more mathematically convenient to work with, especially in complicated distributions. Both current and current density are vectors, with current being a scalar defined by the integral of current density over a surface.
Rajeswar Panja
Why we do use electrical current density in place of total electrical current? Actually I want to know what is the advantage of using electrical current density?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I read on wiki article but my question is that why we do use current density which means current/unit area rather than the total current?

Rajeswar Panja said:
why we do use current density
We don't always use Current Density. In fact, in many years of EE, Current Density hasn't figured very highly in any of my work. Talk to a power Engineer and you may get a different answer.
What is the context of your question?

Rajeswar Panja said:
why we do use current density which means current/unit area rather than the total current?
We use whichever one we need for a given problem

Current density is a vector, current is a scalar?

Current density is a local property (For a point), whereas current is a global property (e.g. for an entire wire). Both are useful depending on the problem but I guess I'll talk a bit more about current density. Densities in general are useful because they allow you to look at the effect of complicated distributions of the quantity in question (e.g. current,charge,mass) by adding up all the little current densities (Numerically or otherwise), current density allows you to find for instance the magnetic field inside a complicated material where only parts of the current have an effect. Another motivation for using densities is that the differential forms of equations, (e.g. Maxwell equations) are more mathematically convenient to work with, and they have to be expressed in terms of local properties.

Both current and current density are vectors i.e. they both have direction but currents are rarely written in vector form probably because they're written too often and it's assumed obvious

cosmik debris said:
Current density is a vector, current is a scalar?
Mgcini Keith Phuthi said:
Both current and current density are vectors
Current is in fact a scalar. The current through a surface S (e.g. a cross-section of a wire) is defined as $$I = \iint_S \vec J \cdot d\vec S$$ where ##\vec J## is the current density at each point on the surface and ##d \vec S## is the infinitesimal surface element at that point.

Perhaps an example would help: You can't make any progress on eddy currents without solving for the spatially varying current density.

What is current density and why is it important?

Current density is a measure of the amount of electric current flowing in a specific direction through a given area. It is important because it provides a more precise and accurate measurement of electric current compared to simply measuring the total current. It also allows for the comparison of current flow in different materials or at different points within a material.

How is current density calculated?

Current density is calculated by dividing the total current (I) by the cross-sectional area (A) through which the current is flowing. The formula is J = I/A, where J is current density, I is current, and A is cross-sectional area.

What is the relationship between current density and resistance?

Current density and resistance have an inverse relationship. This means that as current density increases, resistance decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, where resistance (R) is equal to the ratio of voltage (V) to current (I), or R = V/I.

Why is it important to maintain a certain current density in electrical systems?

Maintaining a certain current density is important to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of electrical systems. If the current density is too high, it can lead to overheating and damage to the system. On the other hand, if the current density is too low, it can result in inefficient use of energy and potentially cause malfunctions.

How does current density affect the performance of electronic devices?

The performance of electronic devices is greatly affected by current density. Higher current density can lead to faster and more efficient operation of devices. However, if the current density is too high, it can cause overheating and potentially damage the device. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and control current density in the design and operation of electronic devices.