Important discoveries in HEP, experimental

In summary, some of the important experimental discoveries in high energy physics over the past twenty five years include the discovery of the top quark and the W and Z vector bosons, as well as the discovery of neutrino oscillations. There was also the non-discovery of proton decay, which was a disappointment for some in the 1980s. Another significant finding was the unexpected stability of the proton. Overall, most discoveries were expected, with some uncertainties in certain parameters before their actual confirmation.
Locrian
I was wonder what you felt the important experimental discoveries in high energy physics over the past twenty five years have been? This is a subject I'm not familiar with and would like to do a bit of reading on my own.

For instance, I imagine the possible mass of the neutrino would be on the list.

If there is a site or thread I should reference please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, the discovery of the top quark and the discovery of the W and Z vector bosons.

Zz.

Thanks for your reply, Zapperz

How about the (so far) non-discovery of proton decay? There were some high-profile experiments looking for this in the 1980s, and there was some disappointment when they didn't find anything.

Neutrino oscillations. It was the only real "surprise" as far as I know (meaning, not really totally expected when discovered).

I agree with jtbell that the only other "surprise" was the unexpected stability of the proton.

All the other discoveries were expected discoveries, with sometimes only the "mass parameter" or something of the kind only roughly known before actual discovery.

1. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The Large Hadron Collider is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. It is used to collide particles at high speeds in order to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. What is the significance of the Higgs boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 was a major breakthrough in particle physics. It confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, a fundamental force field that gives particles their mass. This discovery helped to validate the Standard Model of particle physics and opened up new avenues for further research.

3. How do scientists detect and measure particles in the LHC?

Scientists use a variety of detectors in the LHC to detect and measure particles. These include the ATLAS and CMS detectors, which are large, multi-purpose detectors that are able to capture and analyze data from particle collisions. Other detectors, such as the ALICE and LHCb detectors, are specialized for studying specific types of particles and phenomena.

4. What are some recent important discoveries in HEP at the LHC?

Some recent important discoveries at the LHC include the observation of the Higgs boson decaying into bottom quarks, the discovery of the pentaquark particle, and the measurement of the rare decay of the Bs meson. These discoveries provide further insights into the Standard Model of particle physics and could potentially lead to the discovery of new particles or phenomena.

5. How do discoveries in HEP impact our everyday lives?

Discoveries in HEP have a wide range of impacts on our everyday lives. For example, the development of medical imaging technologies such as PET and MRI scanners can be traced back to HEP research. The study of particle physics also helps us to better understand the universe and the laws of nature, leading to advancements in technology and innovation.