Impossible Roller Coaster question (for me anyway)

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving energy equations and finding the total mechanical energy of a cart at two different points. The key to solving the problem is to recognize that the total energy remains constant, and to use the equation 0.5mv^2 + mgh = 0.5mv^2 + mgh to solve for the height at point Y.
scolaiw
Question in this link (includes diagram): http://b.imagehost.org/view/0431/photo"

I am assuming it require Energy equations

The attempt at solution = Fail

Please HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scolaiw said:
I am assuming it require Energy equations
Definitely.

The attempt at solution = Fail
For some reason, you set KE = GPE. Instead, consider the total energy at any point. That total energy doesn't change. Write an equation expressing that fact.

I still don't get it... How can you do so, without knowing the mass of "cart"? Where does all the velocities factor into this?

How come no one replies...?

scolaiw said:
I still don't get it... How can you do so, without knowing the mass of "cart"? Where does all the velocities factor into this?
Call the mass of the cart 'm'. It doesn't matter and will drop out of any calculation.

Did you write an expression for the total mechanical energy of the cart?

Yeah that's what I don't get, how can you get the total mechanical energy from so little information?

Thanks so far btw.

scolaiw said:
Yeah that's what I don't get, how can you get the total mechanical energy from so little information?
You don't need the actual numerical value for the total energy. (You don't have the mass, afterall.) All you need to find is the height of point Y and you are given all the information you need to do that.

Compare the total energy at point X to the total energy at point Y.

Ok I've exhausted just about all of my effort and still not getting it. Physics is hard for 17 year old :P.

Can you please tell me the first line of the equation?

I am thinking 0.5mv^2 + mgh = 0.5mv^2 + mgh and solving for second h.

scolaiw said:
I am thinking 0.5mv^2 + mgh = 0.5mv^2 + mgh and solving for second h.
Exactly!

Related to Impossible Roller Coaster question (for me anyway)

1. How does the "Impossible Roller Coaster" work?

The "Impossible Roller Coaster" is a concept for a roller coaster that uses advanced technology and engineering to create seemingly impossible twists, turns, and movements. It would likely use magnetic levitation, advanced propulsion systems, and other cutting-edge technologies to achieve its incredible feats.

2. Is it safe to ride the "Impossible Roller Coaster"?

As with any roller coaster, safety is a top priority in the design and construction of the "Impossible Roller Coaster." Extensive testing and simulations would be done to ensure the safety of riders, and the ride would likely have multiple fail-safe systems in place.

3. How would the "Impossible Roller Coaster" be powered?

The "Impossible Roller Coaster" would likely use a combination of energy sources, such as electricity, hydraulic power, and potential energy from the coaster's height. It may also incorporate regenerative braking systems to help conserve energy.

4. Could the "Impossible Roller Coaster" be built in real life?

While the technology to build the "Impossible Roller Coaster" may currently exist, it would be an incredibly complex and expensive project. The feasibility of building it would depend on factors such as funding, available land, and safety considerations.

5. What makes the "Impossible Roller Coaster" different from other roller coasters?

The "Impossible Roller Coaster" would stand out from other roller coasters due to its use of advanced technology and its ability to perform movements that would be considered impossible on a traditional roller coaster. It would also likely provide a more immersive and intense experience for riders.