1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper - How do i do this?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Improper -- How do i do this?

I can't get started with the following improper limits:

lim as x approaches infinity of (x * sin (1/x))

I get this is in the form 0 * infinity, but when I move x to the bottom, and do l'hopital, nothing gets simpler.

And if you have a chance,

what is the lim as x approaches infinity of (cos x)/x ? I don't know what the limit of cos (infinity) is , so I can't get started. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    cos(x) has no limit at infinity, because the function oscillates. But, it's bounded, and the denominator (x) is growing without bound. What will happen to the fraction as x gets larger?

As for the first one, try replacing 1/x with a new variable, say w. Then, the limit as z approaches infinity of x sin (1/x) is the same as the limit as w approaches 0 of sin(w)/w, a limit you should know!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    -->will it approach 0 since we take cos to be 1 or a treat it as any number?

--> for the first one, the answer is one--suing hospital or the formula sin t/t = 1.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes for the sin question. For the cos, -1/x<=cos(x)/x<=1/x. Squeeze.

6. Oct 10, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know, do you not, that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex]?

If so, a simple substitution should put x sin(1/x) in that form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?