Exploring Improper Limits: Tips and Tricks for Solving Tricky Calculus Problems

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses improper limits and provides a method for simplifying them using substitution and the known limit of sin(x)/x. The conversation also touches on the properties of cos(x)/x and how it can be bounded using the squeeze theorem.
frasifrasi
Improper -- How do i do this?

I can't get started with the following improper limits:

lim as x approaches infinity of (x * sin (1/x))

I get this is in the form 0 * infinity, but when I move x to the bottom, and do l'hopital, nothing gets simpler.

And if you have a chance,

what is the lim as x approaches infinity of (cos x)/x ? I don't know what the limit of cos (infinity) is , so I can't get started. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(x) has no limit at infinity, because the function oscillates. But, it's bounded, and the denominator (x) is growing without bound. What will happen to the fraction as x gets larger?

As for the first one, try replacing 1/x with a new variable, say w. Then, the limit as z approaches infinity of x sin (1/x) is the same as the limit as w approaches 0 of sin(w)/w, a limit you should know!

Last edited:
-->will it approach 0 since we take cos to be 1 or a treat it as any number?

--> for the first one, the answer is one--suing hospital or the formula sin t/t = 1.

Yes for the sin question. For the cos, -1/x<=cos(x)/x<=1/x. Squeeze.

You know, do you not, that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex]?

If so, a simple substitution should put x sin(1/x) in that form.

1. What is the definition of an improper fraction?

An improper fraction is a fraction where the numerator (top number) is equal to or greater than the denominator (bottom number). It is also known as a top-heavy fraction.

2. How do you convert an improper fraction to a mixed number?

To convert an improper fraction to a mixed number, divide the numerator by the denominator. The quotient becomes the whole number and the remainder becomes the numerator of the new fraction. The denominator remains the same.

3. How do you convert a mixed number to an improper fraction?

To convert a mixed number to an improper fraction, multiply the whole number by the denominator and add it to the numerator. The result becomes the new numerator and the denominator remains the same.

4. What is the process for adding and subtracting improper fractions?

To add or subtract improper fractions, you must first convert them to equivalent fractions with the same denominator. Then, add or subtract the numerators and keep the denominator the same. Finally, simplify the resulting fraction if possible.

5. How do you multiply and divide improper fractions?

To multiply improper fractions, multiply the numerators and denominators separately and then simplify the result if possible. To divide improper fractions, invert the second fraction (flip the numerator and denominator) and then follow the same steps as multiplication.