Improper integral using residue

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to computing the integral \int\limits_0^\infty\frac{\mbox{d}x}{\left(x^2+1\right)\left(x^2+4\right)} including using partial fractions and complex integration techniques. It is concluded that there is no convenient way to work out the integral with a different interval than [-\infty,\infty] and that translating the contour to the right and taking the limit as R goes to infinity may be a possible approach. However, this approach still does not explicitly calculate the residues and relies on Cauchy's theorem. The main difficulty is relating the integral over the vertical segment to the integral over the horizontal segment.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

integral: [tex]\int\limits_0^\infty\frac{\mbox{d}x}{\left(x^2+1\right)\left(x^2+4\right)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

normally i would do [tex]I=\frac12\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty\frac{\mbox{d}x}{\left(x^2+1\right)\left(x^2+4\right)}[/tex] and now count residues but is there any other thing what i can do without making it in [tex]x\in[-\infty,\infty][/tex]? what if i had [tex]\int\limits_a^\infty\frac{\mbox{d}x}{\left(x^2+1\right)\left(x^2+4\right)}[/tex] where [tex]a[/tex] is real, positive number?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is simple enough that you can actually compute the antiderivative (use partial fractions). As for complex integration techniques, I think there is no convenient way to work out that last integral. The reason you need the symmetric real interval is to shift the contour and close it off in order to apply the residue theorem. For the original integral, you know the relevant contour is simply a symmetric line segment running from -R to R (R > 0) and a semicircle of corresponding radius attached either above or below the line segment, with appropriate orientation. The most naive way to try to tackle the last integral might be to consider a quarter circle with vertical and horizontal line segments (the horizontal part sitting on the real line; the vertical part along x = a), but the problem is that the integral over the vertical segment won't vanish. Unfortunately I don't really have a better answer right now.

You could take your contour up the positive real axis from 0 to the real number R, then around the quarter circle |z|= R to Ri, then down the imaginary axis to 0. Finally, of course, take the limit as R goes to infinity. The integral around the quarter circle should go to 0 and the integral down the imaginary axis will be related to the integral on the positive real axis.

You can't have the contour running down the imaginary axis since the poles are on the imaginary axis. But translate that contour to the right by a > 0 and you have what I described before. I still don't think this is a good approach because well practically speaking, you're not calculating residues explicitly anymore (this contour does not enclose any singularities) so you're essentially applying Cauchy's theorem. The real difficulty I think is relating the integral over the vertical segment to the integral over the horizontal segment and ensuring that you do actually get the intended value of the integral out of it.

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or where the integrand is unbounded at one or more points in the interval of integration.

What is the residue of a function?

The residue of a function at a singular point is the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point.

How do you use residues to evaluate improper integrals?

To evaluate an improper integral using residues, we first identify the singular points within the interval of integration. Then, we use the Residue Theorem to find the residues at each singular point. Finally, we sum up the residues to obtain the value of the improper integral.

What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at all singular points within the contour.

What are some common techniques for finding residues?

Some common techniques for finding residues include using the limit definition of a residue, using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and using the Cauchy Integral Formula.