Solving Improper Integral: $\int_{-\infty}^{0} 2^{r}dr$

In summary, the integral \int_{-\infty}^{0} 2^{r}dr can be evaluated using the limit definition, which results in the value of 1.4427. The error in the initial attempt was due to not properly evaluating the limit.
iRaid

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0} 2^{r}dr[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0} 2^{r}dr = \lim_{t \to -\infty} \int_t^0 2^{r}dr=\lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac{2^{r}}{ln2}|_{t}^{0} = \lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac{1}{ln2}-\frac{2^{t}}{ln2}[/tex]

Which I thought = ∞, but I guess not. It's supposed to be 1.4427 according to wolfram..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found my error...
[tex]\lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac{1}{ln2}-\frac{2^{t}}{ln2}=\lim_{t \to -\infty} \frac{1}{ln2}-\frac{1}{(ln2)(2^{t})}[/tex]

So then the 1/(ln2)(2^t) becomes 1/0 and then 1/ln2 = what wolfram gets..

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have finite limits of integration or has an integrand that is not defined at certain points within the limits of integration.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, the integral is rewritten as a limit of a definite integral and evaluated using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. What are the common types of improper integrals?

The common types of improper integrals include integrals with infinite limits of integration, integrals with discontinuous integrands, and integrals with unbounded integrands.

4. How do you determine if an improper integral converges or diverges?

To determine if an improper integral converges or diverges, the integral is evaluated using the limit definition and if the limit exists and is finite, then the improper integral converges. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the improper integral diverges.

5. What is the significance of solving improper integrals in science?

Solving improper integrals is important in science as it allows for the calculation of quantities that cannot be found using regular integrals. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving infinite or discontinuous functions.