Improper Integral Domain Question

• Thread starter v0id19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the student is struggling with an integration problem for their AP Calculus BC class. They must use the definition of an improper integral, but they realize that the answer can be found using the arcsin function since both limits are within its domain. However, the student is unsure if they are missing anything and receives clarification that the integrand is not defined at x=1, requiring the use of a limit to evaluate it.
v0id19

Homework Statement

I have to integrate this equation for my AP Calc BC class:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have to use the definition of an improper integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it is [tex]\arcsin(x)[/tex] from 0 to 1, and both are in the domain of the arcsin function, so i don't need to use the improper integral equation, and the answer is [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. But I find it weird that I'd be graded on a question that i don't need to use the topic for. Am I missing anything??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The integrand isn't defined at x = 1, which makes it an improper integral. For this reason you need to use a limit to evaluate it. I.e.,
[tex]
\lim_{a \rightarrow 1^-} \int_0^a \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex]

oh. so it's the domain of the integrand. thanks :D

Related to Improper Integral Domain Question

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is a type of integral where one or both of the bounds of integration are infinite or where the function being integrated is unbounded at one or more points within the interval of integration.

2. How do you determine if an integral is improper?

An integral is considered improper if one or both of the bounds of integration are infinite or if the function being integrated is unbounded within the interval of integration. In other words, if the limits of integration are not finite or if the function has a vertical asymptote within the interval, the integral is improper.

3. What is the difference between a definite and an improper integral?

A definite integral has finite bounds of integration and the function being integrated is continuous within the interval. An improper integral, on the other hand, has infinite bounds of integration or a function that is unbounded within the interval.

4. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use the limit definition to evaluate the integral. If it diverges, then the integral does not have a numerical value.

5. What are some common methods for evaluating improper integrals?

Some common methods for evaluating improper integrals include the limit definition, comparison test, and integration by parts. Other methods, such as trigonometric substitution and partial fractions, can also be used depending on the form of the integral.