Impulse and Momentum of a force on a ball

In summary, for the first question, using the figure provided, we need to determine the magnitude of the impulse delivered to the ball with an error no bigger than 25%. To do this, we can find the area of a nearly equally sized triangle on the figure, as we cannot use the equation J = FΔt. For the second question, we need to calculate the mass of the ball in grams, given that the bat delivers a net eastward impulse of 0.6 N-s and the ball has an initial horizontal velocity of 3.8 m/s to the west and a final velocity of 4.2 m/s to the east. By using the equation for impulse and the formula for change in momentum,
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

1. The force shown in the figure below is the net eastward force acting on a ball. The force starts rising at t=0.012 s, falls back to zero at t=0.062 s, and reaches a maximum force of 35 N at the peak. Determine with an error no bigger than 25% (high or low) the magnitude of the impulse (in N-s) delivered to the ball. Hint: Do not use J = FΔt. Look at the figure. Find the area of a nearly equally sized triangle. [Figure attached.]

2. A bat hits a moving baseball. If the bat delivers a net eastward impulse of 0.6 N-s and the ball starts with an initial horizontal velocity of 3.8 m/s to the west and leaves with a 4.2 m/s velocity to the east, what is the mass of the ball (in grams)?

Homework Equations

--------

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Since I don't know the equation of the line, I can't take the integral of F(t) from (tf) to (ti). And I don't know at what time F=35 N, so I can't make an accurate estimate of the area underneath the line.

2. I have no clue where to even begin.

Attachments

• Blah.bmp
    43 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
draw a picture of the force with time - you should be able to work out 3 points from the info given...

the integral of F.dt is effectivley calculating the are under the curve of F against t

2. impulse = cahnge of momentum write down the equations & what you know

1. Got it!

2. 0.6=4.2m-(-3.8)m and solve for m. Right?

looking good to me

1. What is impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are two important concepts in physics that describe the motion of an object. Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is impulse and momentum related to a force on a ball?

When a force is applied to a ball, it causes a change in its momentum due to the impulse created. The greater the force applied, the greater the change in momentum and the greater the impulse.

3. How is impulse and momentum calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

4. What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

The relationship between impulse and momentum is described by the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the impulse applied to an object is equal to the change in its momentum.

5. How can impulse and momentum be useful in real-life situations?

Impulse and momentum are important concepts in understanding the motion of objects in real-life situations. They are used in sports, such as calculating the force needed to hit a baseball or the momentum of a soccer ball after being kicked. They are also important in car safety, as the impulse applied during a collision can affect the momentum and potentially cause injury to the passengers.