1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and Momentum of a force on a ball

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The force shown in the figure below is the net eastward force acting on a ball. The force starts rising at t=0.012 s, falls back to zero at t=0.062 s, and reaches a maximum force of 35 N at the peak. Determine with an error no bigger than 25% (high or low) the magnitude of the impulse (in N-s) delivered to the ball. Hint: Do not use J = FΔt. Look at the figure. Find the area of a nearly equally sized triangle. [Figure attached.]

2. A bat hits a moving baseball. If the bat delivers a net eastward impulse of 0.6 N-s and the ball starts with an initial horizontal velocity of 3.8 m/s to the west and leaves with a 4.2 m/s velocity to the east, what is the mass of the ball (in grams)?

2. Relevant equations
    --------

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. Since I don't know the equation of the line, I can't take the integral of F(t) from (tf) to (ti). And I don't know at what time F=35 N, so I can't make an accurate estimate of the area underneath the line.

2. I have no clue where to even begin.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

draw a picture of the force with time - you should be able to work out 3 points from the info given...

the integral of F.dt is effectivley calculating the are under the curve of F against t

2. impulse = cahnge of momentum write down the equations & what you know

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    1. Got it!

2. 0.6=4.2m-(-3.8)m and solve for m. Right?

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

looking good to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook