Impulse and momentum of a sled

In summary, the problem involves a sled sliding on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. Using the impulse-momentum theorem, we can calculate the time it takes for the sled to travel from point A to point B, given its initial velocity at point A is 8m/s and its final velocity at point B is 5m/s. The equation used is m(delta)v = F*t, and solving for t gives us the time it takes for the sled to travel, with the acceleration g assumed to be 9.81m/s^2. The acceleration in the horizontal direction can be found using F_net = ma, but it is not needed for this problem.
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

a sled slides along a horizontal surface on which the coeffient of kinetic friction 0.25. its veocity at pt A is 8m/s at pt B its 5m/s. use impulse-momentum theorem to find how long the sled takes to travel from A to B

Homework Equations

P=J

The Attempt at a Solution

m(delta)v=Ft
(delta)v=ukgt
vf-vi=ukgt

uk = kinetic friction coeff.

ive gotten this far and I am not sure how I'm suppoes to solve for time if there's 2 unknown varibles g and t.. is there a way i can solve for g .

am i doing this question correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

You've got it right...g is assumed to be the acceleration of gravity on earth, and is equal to 9.81m/s^2, a known value.

PhanthomJay said:
You've got it right...g is assumed to be the acceleration of gravity on earth, and is equal to 9.81m/s^2, a known value.

that g is suppose to be acceleration i used the wrong symbol, it's on the x-axis not the y axis
sorry i confused you

Jennifer001 said:
that g is suppose to be acceleration i used the wrong symbol, it's on the x-axis not the y axis
sorry i confused you
No, you used the correct symbol; it comes out of your correct calculation for the net force acting on the sled, which is u_k(m)(g). You are trying to solve for t, not a. If you want the acceleration in the horizontal direction, which is not called for, it's just F_net = ma, or a = (vf-vi)/t. The impulse-momentun equation is just another form of Newton's 2nd Law.

oo thank you i was confused

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion or inertia.

2. How is the momentum of a sled calculated?

The momentum of a sled can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

3. What factors affect the impulse and momentum of a sled?

The mass and velocity of the sled, as well as the force applied to it, can affect its impulse and momentum.

4. Why is it important to consider impulse and momentum when designing a sled?

Considering impulse and momentum can help determine the amount of force needed to move the sled and how long it will take to come to a stop, which can impact safety and efficiency.

5. How does friction affect the impulse and momentum of a sled?

Friction can decrease the momentum of a sled by acting in the opposite direction of its motion, and can also increase the time it takes for the sled to come to a stop, resulting in a larger impulse.