1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and momentum of a sled

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a sled slides along a horizontal surface on which the coeffient of kinetic friction 0.25. its veocity at pt A is 8m/s at pt B its 5m/s. use impulse-momentum theorem to find how long the sled takes to travel from A to B

2. Relevant equations
    P=J

3. The attempt at a solution

m(delta)v=Ft
    (delta)v=ukgt
    vf-vi=ukgt

uk = kinetic friction coeff.

ive gotten this far and im not sure how i'm suppoes to solve for time if theres 2 unknown varibles g and t.. is there a way i can solve for g .

am i doing this question correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: impulse-momentum

You've got it right....g is assumed to be the acceleration of gravity on earth, and is equal to 9.81m/s^2, a known value.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3

that g is suppose to be acceleration i used the wrong symbol, it's on the x axis not the y axis
    sorry i confused you

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you used the correct symbol; it comes out of your correct calculation for the net force acting on the sled, which is u_k(m)(g). You are trying to solve for t, not a. If you want the acceleration in the horizontal direction, which is not called for, it's just F_net = ma, or a = (vf-vi)/t. The impulse-momentun equation is just another form of Newton's 2nd Law.

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

oo thank you i was confused

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?