Impulse effects on an overdamped vibrating system derivation

In summary, the time dependence of the vibration response of an overdamped system to an impulse is given by equation (1), which can be derived from equation (2) using the conversion of the hyperbolic cosine function to an algebraic function. As t becomes large, the first term in equation (1) approaches 0, resulting in the simplified expression of equation (2).
amr55533

Homework Statement

For a zero initial deflection and for a finite initial velocity, the time dependence of the vibration response of an overdamped system to an impulse is given by:

(1) θ(t)=[I/(mω)√(ζ^2-1)][e^-(ζωt)][cosh(ω√(ζ^2-1))t]

which for large values of time becomes:

(2) θ(t)=[I/(2mω)√(ζ^2-1)][e^-(ζ+√(ζ^2-1))t]

How could equation (2) be derived from equation (1)?

Homework Equations

I=FΔt
θ(t)=[I/(mω)√(ζ^2-1)][e^-(ζωt)][cosh(ω√(ζ^2-1))t]
θ(t)=[I/(2mω)√(ζ^2-1)][e^-(ζ+√(ζ^2-1))t]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to derive equation (2) from equation (1).

As t becomes large, [e^-(ζωt)] approaches 0.

I checked the chapter on impulse response functions in my vibrations textbook, but couldn't seem to find either of these equations.

Also, I tried a few arbitrary values with a large values for time in each equation, but was coming up with completely different answers. Are these equations viable?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm too brain dead to be of much help at this point, but have you tried writing cosh in terms of exponential functions and seeing if anything resolves itself that way? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_cosine

I haven't seen this problem before, but that'd be my first try, and the 2 in the denominator of those expressions for cosh seems like it might be a friendly sign.

Thanks! I didn't even think of converting the cosh to an algebraic function. I think I got it now!

1. What is an overdamped vibrating system?

An overdamped vibrating system is a physical system that experiences a rapid decrease in amplitude after being disturbed, without oscillating or overshooting its equilibrium position. This is due to a high amount of damping, which dissipates the system's energy quickly.

2. How does an impulse affect an overdamped vibrating system?

An impulse, or sudden change in force, on an overdamped vibrating system will cause the system to rapidly decrease in amplitude without oscillating. This is due to the high amount of damping, which dissipates the energy from the impulse quickly.

3. What is the equation for the impulse response of an overdamped vibrating system?

The equation for the impulse response of an overdamped vibrating system is given by: y = (F0/k) * e^(-t/τ), where y is the displacement from equilibrium, F0 is the magnitude of the impulse force, k is the spring constant, t is time, and τ is the system's damping time constant.

4. How is the damping time constant related to the damping ratio in an overdamped vibrating system?

The damping time constant, τ, is related to the damping ratio, ζ, in an overdamped vibrating system by the equation: τ = 1/(ζωn), where ωn is the natural frequency of the system. The higher the damping ratio, the shorter the damping time constant and the faster the system will return to its equilibrium position.

5. How does the magnitude of the impulse force affect the response of an overdamped vibrating system?

The magnitude of the impulse force, F0, affects the response of an overdamped vibrating system by directly impacting the amplitude of the system's displacement from equilibrium. A larger impulse force will result in a larger displacement, while a smaller impulse force will result in a smaller displacement.