1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering - Control Systems - 2cnd Order System

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a electrical circuit as one below

SPnOUPs.png

One can find the transfer function

9PPdYxi.png

For second order systems this can be written as

OWMjA6f.png

I know that the damping coefficient can be found using the following formula

xBvs1cn.png

In the over damped case ζ>1 can easily occur depending on the values of the components above.

My question is how would you plot a bode plot when ζ>1? I know that when 0<=ζ<=1 Θ can be found using, Θ=arccos(ζ). In the over damped case you would get the arccosine of a value greater than one. In which case Θ is imaginary so how would you go about plotting it such a angle? I know how to solve such a equation such as arccosine(2), but am unsure of the physical conclusions from such a equation. I'm just intrigued by learning physical representations of the trigonometric functions that fall out side of their real domains. I would like to learn more on this subject.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You replace ##s## by ##jω## and this gives an expression with a complex number in the denominator. Determine the magnitude of the expression, and its angle.

4. Feb 27, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the system is overdamp[ed the roots of the characteristic equation both lie on the real negative axis. So that's actually much easier to Bode-plot than for an underdamped system.

What are the Bode plots of ab/(s+a)(s+b)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted