Impulse Needed to Stop a Moving Object Using Momentum and Newton's Laws

• Thread starter phys99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the impulse needed to stop a 10kg bowling ball moving at 5m/s is 50 kg-m/s or 50 N-s. However, the calculation may be complicated by the fact that the impulsive force is aided by the friction force maintaining the rolling constraint.
phys99

Homework Statement

What is the impulse needed to stop a 10kg bowling ball moving at 5m/s?

Homework Equations

Impulse = -initial momentum and
momentum = mass * v = 50

The Attempt at a Solution

I entered -50 as the answer but it was wrong :( can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try putting some units on that?

Dr.D said:
Did you try putting some units on that?

ummm... what kind of units?? because so far, i thought that unit of impulse is Kg.m/s?! am i wrong?

That will do, as will N-s, but what you put down above for your answer showed no units at all. Is that perhaps why your answer was rejected?

Dr.D said:
That will do, as will N-s, but what you put down above for your answer showed no units at all. Is that perhaps why your answer was rejected?

No, I don't have to answer units at all... but are you saying that the unit should be N*s at the end?? my ans was in units kg.m/s

If you work through it, you will discover that N-s are exactly the same thing as kg-m/s.

I suspect that the problem lies in the fact that the impulsive force applied to stop the ball is aided by the friction force that is maintianing the rolling constraint since both of the act against the forward motion. The friction force is hard to evaluate since it is a constraint, rather than a known value.

1. What is impulse needed to stop?

Impulse needed to stop refers to the amount of force applied over a period of time to bring an object to a complete stop.

2. How is impulse needed to stop calculated?

Impulse needed to stop is calculated using the formula I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the force applied, and Δt is the time period over which the force is applied.

3. What is the relationship between impulse needed to stop and momentum?

Impulse needed to stop is directly proportional to the change in momentum of an object. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the faster the object will stop.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the impulse needed to stop it?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the impulse needed to stop it. However, a larger mass will require a greater amount of force to achieve the same change in momentum as a smaller mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding impulse needed to stop?

Understanding impulse needed to stop is important in various fields such as car safety, sports, and engineering. For example, engineers use this concept to design effective braking systems for vehicles, while athletes use it to improve their performance in sports like running and jumping.