Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Response of Causal Systems

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    I am reading "Linear System Theory and Design" by Chen and he says (in what follows g(t,tau) is the impulse response function):

If a system is causal, the output will not appear before an input is applied. Thus we have Causal <==> g(t,tau) = 0 for t < tau.​

However, this seems incorrect to me. For a given tau, g(t,tau) represents the output of the system in response to a delta spike centered at t= tau. So, for t < tau, the input stimulating g(t,tau) is 0. The author then concludes from this that the output for t < tau must also be zero. But this is false. Consider for instance a system consisting of a logical NOT gate where your the output is the logical NOT of your input. g(t,tau) would not be zero for t<tau for this system. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Usually, a NOT gate would mean you were talikng about digital signals, not anlog (continuously variable) ones.

Even if you extend your idea to an "analog NOT gate" where the "output = 1 - input" or sometning similar, that is still not a linear system.

For a linear system, if the input is always zero, the output must also be always zero.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    Do you mean that, for a linear system, if the input and state variables are zero then the output must also be zero?

My textbook defines a linear system as a system which satisfies the following (x denotes state variable, u input, y output):

Given

[tex] \begin{array}{l l} x_1(t_0) \\ u_1(t), \quad t \geq t_0 \\ \end{array} \} \rightarrow y_1(t), \quad t \geq t_0[/tex]

and

[tex] \begin{array}{l l} x_2(t_0) \\ u_2(t), \quad t \geq t_0 \\ \end{array} \} \rightarrow y_2(t), \quad t \geq t_0[/tex]

we have that for any [itex]\alpha_1, \alpha_2[/itex]

[tex] \begin{array}{l l} \alpha_1 x_1(t_0) + \alpha_2 x_2(t_0) \\ \alpha_1 u_1(t) + \alpha_2 u_2(t), \quad t \geq t_0 \\ \end{array} \} \rightarrow \alpha_1 y_1(t) + \alpha_2 y_2(t), \quad t \geq t_0[/tex]

I can see how you can deduce from this condition that, if both [itex] x(t_0) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] u(t_0) = 0[/itex] then [itex] y(t_0) = 0 [/itex]. But I cannot see how to do it without the condition on the state variables.

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes - sorry if the lack of precision confused you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook