Temporal Impulse response of one electron

In summary, the shot noise of individual electrons in vacuum photodiodes and similar current sources has been well studied.
El-Shimy
Hi,

I am a little bit confused about the impulse response of one electron.

Assume that we have LTI system characterized by impulse response h(t) with unit gain, int{h(t)} = 1.

Let the input is current i(t) [Amp]. So the output current will be i(t)*h(t). We can view it as i(t) is dispersed in time due to passing through system h(t).

- If the current is only one electron with charge q and enters at time t = 0. Therefore i(t) = q delta(t).
- Therefore the output current is i(t)*h(t) = q.h(t)

The question is how one electron is dispersed in time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
El-Shimy said:
Hi,

I am a little bit confused about the impulse response of one electron.

Assume that we have LTI system characterized by impulse response h(t) with unit gain, int{h(t)} = 1.

Let the input is current i(t) [Amp]. So the output current will be i(t)*h(t). We can view it as i(t) is dispersed in time due to passing through system h(t).

- If the current is only one electron with charge q and enters at time t = 0. Therefore i(t) = q delta(t).
- Therefore the output current is i(t)*h(t) = q.h(t)

The question is how one electron is dispersed in time.

The electron wavelength depends on its velocity:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/debrog.html

What is the context of your question? What kind of apparatus are you working with?

If we only have one charge carrier then do we have a true LTI system? If a single electron moves from one place to another then the place where it was is no longer able to conduct electricity because it no longer has any charge carriers. It's not time invariant.

I don't think any of that LTI stuff will apply at all for a single electron because it assumes that a current is a continuous quantity that can be divided. For example, a system with a gain of 1/2 is a perfectly legit LTI but how do you divide an electron in half?

If you are interested in the wave-like nature of electrons and electricity then you can look up the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephson_effect#The_effect".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply.

My question is about Photodetector with impulse response h(t). Where the output current is represented by
i(t) = sum{ h(t-tm) }
where h(t) is the response of one electron such that int{h(t)}=q and tm is the time of released electron.

El-Shimy said:
Thank you for the reply.

My question is about Photodetector with impulse response h(t). Where the output current is represented by
i(t) = sum{ h(t-tm) }
where h(t) is the response of one electron such that int{h(t)}=q and tm is the time of released electron.

A photodetector detects photons, not electrons. Are you thinking of a vacuum photomultiplier tube (PMT)?

berkeman said:
A photodetector detects photons, not electrons. Are you thinking of a vacuum photomultiplier tube (PMT)?

Thank you for your concern.

Actually, I mean the photodetector. We can assume it as 100% efficiency, where each photon will emit electron and for each electron there is a response function h(t) contains charge q.

Shot noise (the noise from individual electrons) in vacuum photodiodes and similar current sources has been well studied. See equation 6.8 in Section 6.1 in

http://www.qis.ex.nii.ac.jp/qis/documents_YY/y3_02chp6_txt.pdf

The electron arrival at the anode is considered to be an impulsive event, so the anode voltage signal in the external circuit is given by Eq. 6.7..

Bob S

Bob S said:
Shot noise (the noise from individual electrons) in vacuum photodiodes and similar current sources has been well studied. See equation 6.8 in Section 6.1 in

http://www.qis.ex.nii.ac.jp/qis/documents_YY/y3_02chp6_txt.pdf

The electron arrival at the anode is considered to be an impulsive event, so the anode voltage signal in the external circuit is given by Eq. 6.7..

Bob S

Thanks a lot for you and for the others reply. I will check the link you provided.

1. What is the definition of temporal impulse response of one electron?

The temporal impulse response of one electron is a measure of the electron's reaction to a sudden change in its environment over a specific period of time. It describes the time-dependent behavior of the electron in response to an external stimulus.

2. How is the temporal impulse response of one electron measured?

The temporal impulse response of one electron can be measured using techniques such as pulsed laser spectroscopy, time-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, and ultrafast electron diffraction. These methods involve exciting the electron with a short intense pulse and measuring its response over time.

3. What factors can affect the temporal impulse response of one electron?

The temporal impulse response of one electron can be influenced by various factors, including the electron's energy level, the strength of the external stimulus, and the properties of the material in which the electron is located. Additionally, any external forces or fields acting on the electron can also affect its response.

4. Why is studying the temporal impulse response of one electron important?

Studying the temporal impulse response of one electron can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of materials at the quantum level. It can also help in understanding processes such as charge transfer, energy transfer, and chemical reactions, which are vital in many fields such as materials science, chemistry, and nanotechnology.

5. How is the temporal impulse response of one electron used in practical applications?

The temporal impulse response of one electron is used in various practical applications, such as ultrafast electronics, optoelectronics, and quantum computing. It is also crucial in understanding and improving processes in technologies such as solar cells, batteries, and semiconductors.