In search of a very detailed physics book

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone looking for a detailed and comprehensive resource for studying physics. Suggestions are made for a website, NPTEL, which offers courses on various topics in physics with detailed lectures. The book "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick is also recommended, although it may not be available for free.
archaic
Hello everyone,
I've been watching the Khan Academy physics lectures and although they're nice (does anyone know a better one?) I'd like to get much deeper into the details of everything.
So please if any of you knows a book, preferably available for free, which is really detailed and of an introductory style, do share!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you talk about anything but http://www.nptel.ac.in (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning), an initiative by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. Of India.

Just go to the http://www.nptel.ac.in/course.php page, search for a course with keywords, and hit enter. There are two types of courses: Web course and Video course. You can choose the appropriate filters from the lists. You'll get a list of courses. Choose one course and start from there.

I've added a lot of courses from NPTEL in PF gallery. The lectures go into much more detail than Khan Academy.

Happy Knowledge Hunting!

Likes archaic
archaic said:
I'd like to get much deeper into the details of everything.
Then you must read a book on string theory, because it's the only candidate theory of everything. :biggrin:

Now seriously, a good comprehensive introduction to physics is provided e.g. by Halliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics.

Likes archaic, Wrichik Basu and Frimus
Wrichik Basu said:
If you talk about anything but http://www.nptel.ac.in (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning), an initiative by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. Of India.

Just go to the http://www.nptel.ac.in/course.php page, search for a course with keywords, and hit enter. There are two types of courses: Web course and Video course. You can choose the appropriate filters from the lists. You'll get a list of courses. Choose one course and start from there.

I've added a lot of courses from NPTEL in PF gallery. The lectures go into much more detail than Khan Academy.

Happy Knowledge Hunting!
I remember visiting the NPTEL website, will give it a try.
Thank you!

Demystifier said:
Then you must read a book on string theory, because it's the only candidate theory of everything. :biggrin:

Now seriously, a good comprehensive introduction to physics is provided e.g. by Halliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics.
Thank you, I've ound the book on archive.org (have you recommended this book only to satisfy the "preferably free" demand? If you have another book in mind, which is not necessarily available for free, please do tell!

Likes Wrichik Basu
archaic said:
Thank you, I've ound the book on archive.org (have you recommended this book only to satisfy the "preferably free" demand?
Actually, I didn't know that the book is on archive. In fact, I've just tried to find it on archive and I failed. Are you sure that you found that book on archive an not on some illegal Russian site? :wink:

Demystifier said:
Actually, I didn't know that the book is on archive. In fact, I've just tried to find it on archive and I failed. Are you sure that you found that book on archive an not on some illegal Russian site? :wink:
Yes of course, <<link removed by Mentor, see post below>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Frimus and Demystifier
Apparently Fundamentals of Physics is still being sold on amazon, so I guess the archive.org upload might be not totally legal ..?

Likes archaic
archaic said:
Apparently Fundamentals of Physics is still being sold on amazon, so I guess the archive.org upload might be not totally legal ..?
From their FAQ, in the section "Rights":

we cannot give ironclad guarantees as to the copyright status of items in our Collections and cannot guarantee information posted on item details or collection pages regarding copyright or other intellectual property rights. Our terms of use (https://www.archive.org/about/terms.php) require that users make use of Internet Archive's Collections at their own risk and ensure that such use is non-infringing and in accordance with all applicable laws.

From their Terms of Use:

Some of the content available through the Archive may be governed by local, national, and/or international laws and regulations, and your use of such content is solely at your own risk. You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations, including intellectual property laws, in connection with your use of the Archive. In particular, you certify that your use of any part of the Archive's Collections will be limited to noninfringing or fair use under copyright law.

I'm pretty sure that using a textbook for serious study does not fall under "fair use". That term usually refers to using brief extracts for commentary or criticism, e.g. quoting a few sentences in a post here, as I've often done.

I see no indication on the page for the Halliday/Resnick/Walker book that the upload was approved by the publishers or authors.

Accordingly, I'll remove the direct link from a preceding post. We obviously can't prevent people from finding that book, or others, there for themselves.

Likes archaic
Gee - Why Not Feynman's Lectures:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

BUT you must have done calculus and be aware it is exactly what you asked for - for better or worse ie not for the feint hearted.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Daverz and archaic
bhobba said:
Gee - Why Not Feynman's Lectures:
As we already discussed elsewhere, Feynman is great for physics majors but not so good for others (e.g. engineers).

Likes bhobba
archaic said:
So please if any of you knows a book, preferably available for free, which is really detailed and of an introductory style, do share!

Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics. All 3 volumes. Everything is derived! Very neat explanations. Can be really math heavy. Uses Calculus extensively.

Likes archaic

1. What topics does this physics book cover?

This physics book covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, and more. It also includes applications of physics in various fields such as engineering and astronomy.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the fundamentals of physics and gradually progresses to more complex topics. It also includes clear explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts.

3. Does this book include mathematical equations?

Yes, this book includes mathematical equations as they are an essential part of understanding physics principles. However, the book also provides explanations and illustrations to help readers visualize and comprehend the equations.

4. Are there any interactive elements in this book?

Yes, this book includes interactive elements such as diagrams, graphs, and problem sets to engage readers and enhance their understanding of the concepts. It also provides access to online resources for further practice and learning.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book is suitable for self-study as it includes a comprehensive approach to explaining physics concepts and provides exercises for readers to test their understanding. It is also suitable for use as a textbook in a classroom setting.