In university lectures, what note-taking software do you use?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of software for taking notes during lectures and tutorials. The speaker preferred using a pen and paper for quicker note-taking, but also used computer software such as Libre Office or Open Office for faster typing. They also mentioned a preference for using a fountain pen when possible.
mrxyz
Hi

For keeping with full disclosure - I hope to use this information to determine the need for an idea I've had that would make the lives of maths/physics students easier.

I have just two questions I hope you can answer...

What software do you use for taking notes during lectures and tutorials?
(i.e. Google Docs, Microsoft Word, ...)

How do you find noting down mathematical formulas using this software?
(a rating of 1-10 with 10 being really simple and 1 being quite complicated)

OPTIONAL QUESTION: If you take notes using a pen and a pad, can you explain why and what might cause you to switch over?

Thanks in advance to everyone who answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
mrxyz said:
What software do you use for taking notes during lectures and tutorials?
IMO, if you were to record your lecturer's notes for your personal use, writing it down on a paper is much faster than using computer softwares.

Likes billy_joule and Sophia
Use a pen, I prefer a Bic ball point with a grip.

I write on paper. I find it much faster.

I type faster than I write. So, I use Libre Office or Open Office.

That said, any chance I get to use my fountain pen, I will.

1. What is the best note-taking software for university lectures?

The best note-taking software for university lectures is subjective and depends on individual preferences. Some popular options include Evernote, OneNote, Google Keep, Notability, and Microsoft Word.

2. Can I use my laptop or tablet for note-taking instead of pen and paper?

Yes, many students prefer using their laptops or tablets for note-taking in university lectures. It allows for faster note-taking and easy organization and sharing of notes.

3. Are there any note-taking software specifically designed for university lectures?

Yes, there are note-taking software specifically designed for university lectures such as Notability, LectureNotes, and GoodNotes. These apps often have features like audio recording, highlighting, and annotation that cater to the needs of students in lectures.

4. Can I use a free note-taking software or do I need to purchase a subscription?

There are both free and paid options for note-taking software. Some popular free options include Evernote, Google Keep, and Microsoft OneNote. Paid options usually offer more advanced features and storage space.

5. Is it important to have a backup of my notes in case of technical issues?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup of your notes in case of technical issues. Most note-taking software have automatic backup or syncing features, but it is recommended to manually save your notes to a separate device or cloud storage for extra security.