In what formation does this simple block universe exist?

In summary, This conversation is discussing a rough estimate of a simple block universe and the different perspectives of observers in the red and blue worldlines. It is explained that the diagrams in the conversation are not accurately representing the block universe, as it exists in a 4-dimensional space with Minkowski geometry. The concept of a Euclidean rotation is also discussed and how it relates to the Minkowski diagrams. It is noted that the diagrams can be superimposed if they are boosted, but this does not accurately represent the true nature of the block universe. The conversation ends with a discussion of the limitations of representing a 4-dimensional structure in 2 dimensions.
student34 said:
I see that when t = 0, the formula turns into Pythagorean theorem, and all that would be left are 3 dots in both diagrams. Would it be true to say that we would be looking at an actual slice of the block as it exists?
Small nitpick. It is ##dt=0## not ##t=0##. The ##dt=0## means that time is constant, i.e. one fixed moment in time. But it could be anyone fixed moment you choose, not just ##t=0##.

Yes if ##dt=0## then the remaining part of the metric is just the Euclidean metric. You are looking at all of space at one fixed moment of time. Space has the same metric as the paper, so that is undistorted

Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
The ##t=0## line is what an observer at rest in that frame would call "space at time zero", yes (or one dimension of it, at least). That's why you are getting three dots - they are what you would normally think of as "the objects at that time". The worldlines are the three dots as they appear in the block universe - three dots, extended in time.

And as you note, distances in the ##t=0## (or any other constant value) obey Pythagoras - space is Euclidean. Spacetime is not.
But then when does the diagram, say on the left, start to diverge into the Minkosky geometry? It seems like we are just going to build the diagram by using constants of time.

student34 said:
But then when does the diagram, say on the left, start to diverge into the Minkosky geometry?
Whenever the metric has both a + and a - term

student34 said:
when does the diagram, say on the left, start to diverge into the Minkosky geometry?
It doesn't "diverge" into Minkowski geometry. The geometry of the diagram as a whole is Minkowski. The geometry of each individual slice of constant time is Euclidean. These are just facts about the geometry. There is no "divergence" from one to the other.

student34 said:
It seems like we are just going to build the diagram by using constants of time.
The full spacetime is a "stack" of slices of constant time, yes. But that in no way requires that the geometry of the full spacetime must be Euclidean, just because the geometry of the individual slices is.

Likes cianfa72
Think of concentric 2-spheres embedded in Euclidean 3-space. Each sphere is non-Euclidean. This does not require the containing space to be non-Euclidean. Similarly, the fact that you can embed Euclidean slices in Minkowski spacetime in no way requires the Minkowski spacetime to be Euclidean.

Last edited:
Likes cianfa72 and Dale
student34 said:
But then when does the diagram, say on the left, start to diverge into the Minkosky geometry? It seems like we are just going to build the diagram by using constants of time.
Any non-horizontal line through either diagram is distorted in the representation. It's only on surfaces where the time coordinate is the same (i.e., a horizontal line) that the metric @Dale showed becomes the familiar Pytharoras' theorem.

Dale said:
Whenever the metric has both a + and a - term
But then wouldn't every 0 dt moment turn into the diagram?

student34 said:
But then wouldn't every 0 dt moment turn into the diagram?
No, a ##dt=0## slice has a metric with only + terms. So a ##dt=0## slice has ordinary Euclidean geometry

Dale said:
No, a ##dt=0## slice has a metric with only + terms. So a ##dt=0## slice has ordinary Euclidean geometry
Yes that I understand. Maybe I did not explain what I meant properly.

For example, the diagram on the left, at t = 0 and dt = 0, we seem to get points on the blue worldlines at the x axis. Then if we go to a dt = 0 moment very close to t = 0, it seems that we get another dot on the blue world lines of the diagram. If we keep doing this, don't we get the diagram?

You can build up a diagram that way, yes. But the same is true of the other diagram.

student34 said:
If we keep doing this, don't we get the diagram?
Yes, the full 2D spacetime diagram can be assembled from a series of 1D diagrams. This is called a foliation and each subspace is called a leaf. Furthermore, the metric of the 1D sub diagrams (leaves) is Euclidean.

More importantly, spacetime (neglecting gravity) can be foliated as a series of 3D leafs where the metric in each 3D leaf is straight Euclidean.

Ibix said:
You can build up a diagram that way, yes. But the same is true of the other diagram.
But then can't we say that the diagrams are slices of the spacetime and exist in the block the way they appear on our screens, as a 2d Euclidean space?

Last edited:
Dale said:
Yes, the full 2D spacetime diagram can be assembled from a series of 1D diagrams. This is called a foliation and each subspace is called a leaf. Furthermore, the metric of the 1D sub diagrams (leaves) is Euclidean.

More importantly, spacetime (neglecting gravity) can be foliated as a series of 3D leafs where the metric in each 3D leaf is straight Euclidean.
Then why can't the diagrams exist like they do on our screens as 2d Euclidean planes?

student34 said:
But then can't we say that the diagrams are slices of the spacetime and exist in the block the way they appear on our screens, in a 2d Euclidean space?
So, for all ##t##, Minkowski spacetime is Euclidean; hence Minkowski spacetime is Euclidean. QED

student34 said:
But then can't we say that the diagrams are slices of the spacetime and exist in the block the way they appear on our screens, as a 2d Euclidean space?
Given two such slices, consider a point-event A one slice and another point-event B on the other.
A Euclidean distance you might assign to a segment from A and B is not equal
to the Minkowski (spacetime) interval from A to B.
The Euclidean distance does not correctly capture or encode the physics relating A and B.
You can use a Euclidean ruler on your diagram... but it doesn't tell you about the physics involved.

By the way, what I am saying applying also applies to a position-vs-time graph in physics 101.
The length of an arbitrary line in the graph measured with a ruler has no physical interpretation.

student34 said:
The diagrams are not spacetime, any more than a map of the Earth is the Earth. You are confusing the diagrams with reality. They're not reality, they're pictures of some aspect of reality, taken from different viewpoints. So your question here doesn't even make sense; it's like asking if two pictures of you taken from different angles "exist the way they appear", as though having two pictures of you meant there were two yous.

PeroK said:
So, for all ##t##, Minkowski spacetime is Euclidean; hence Minkowski spacetime is Euclidean. QED
🤔 I don't know if you are joking or not.

student34 said:
He is.

student34 said:
I was trying to interpret what you were saying.

In mathematics, when you have a proof and a counterexample to that proof, in general it's the proof that tends to be wrong.

student34 said:
Then why can't the diagrams exist like they do on our screens as 2d Euclidean planes?
Because the metric when ##dt\ne0## is not Euclidean.

The metric of the leaves is not the same as the leaves of the foliated space. Indeed, it cannot possibly be since the foliated space has more dimensions than the leaves.

Note, this property is not peculiar to Minkowski geometry. It is a general fact of foliations. Think of an onion. Each layer (leaf) has a 2D spherical metric. When you put them all together the 3D Euclidean metric describes distances between points in the onion as a whole.

robphy said:
Given two such slices, consider a point-event A one slice and another point-event B on the other.
A Euclidean distance you might assign to a segment from A and B is not equal
to the Minkowski (spacetime) interval from A to B.
The Euclidean distance does not correctly capture or encode the physics relating A and B.
You can use a Euclidean ruler on your diagram... but it doesn't tell you about the physics involved.
I am really just trying to visualize what I can and use the math that is relevant, for starters. That is why I posted the simplest example that I could think of. I am trying to understand all true statements about the formation of the block in my OP, and most importantly, how all these true statements about the block relate to each other.

This seems to be very hard for me to do. I just really want to understand this anyway I can.

PeterDonis said:
The diagrams are not spacetime, any more than a map of the Earth is the Earth. You are confusing the diagrams with reality. They're not reality, they're pictures of some aspect of reality, taken from different viewpoints. So your question here doesn't even make sense; it's like asking if two pictures of you taken from different angles "exist the way they appear", as though having two pictures of you meant there were two yous.
Like I told robphy, I am interested in how these true statements about the block in my example relate to each other. For me, I still see contradictions with these statements; this tells me that there is still something quite important that I am not understanding.

For example, you said that we can build the diagram using moments in time, which, I believe, creates an image of the slice as seen on our screen exactly how the slice exists in the block. But then I am told that the image of the slice is not a true reflection of the slice itself.

I am still confused about that.

PeroK said:
In mathematics, when you have a proof and a counterexample to that proof, in general it's the proof that tends to be wrong.
But how do I know which is proving the other wrong? Is Minkowsky geometry proving Euclidean geometry wrong or vice versa?

student34 said:
But how do I know which is proving the other wrong? Is Minkowsky geometry proving Euclidean geometry wrong or vice versa?
Neither. What is proven wrong is the assumption that a foliation of Euclidean leaves gives a Euclidean space.

Again, this is a general fact about foliations. Please think about the onion example. Focus on that until you understand it

student34 said:
we can build the diagram using moments in time
Yes, but which particular events (points in spacetime) are part of a given "moment of time" is different for different frames. That is why a horizontal line across one of your diagrams (which represents a moment of time in that diagram's frame) passes through different points on the red and blue lines than a horizontal line across the other diagram (which represents a moment of time in that diagram's frame). You can build a full diagram using either frame, but the "slices" you use to build it will "cut" the actual spacetime at different angles.

Dale said:
Because the metric when ##dt\ne0## is not Euclidean.
I just want to clear this up once and for all. I seem to be getting two conflicting answers to the question, "why can't the diagrams exist like they do on our screens as 2d Euclidean planes?". I apologize if I am misinterpreting your following answers.

Answer #1 (from post #116): "Yes, the full 2D spacetime diagram can be assembled from a series of 1D diagrams."

Answer #2 (from post #126): "Because the metric when ##dt\ne0## is not Euclidean."

student34 said:
I just want to clear this up once and for all. I seem to be getting two conflicting answers to the question, "why can't the diagrams exist like they do on our screens as 2d Euclidean planes?". I apologize if I am misinterpreting your following answers.

Answer #1 (from post #116): "Yes, the full 2D spacetime diagram can be assembled from a series of 1D diagrams."

Answer #2 (from post #126): "Because the metric when ##dt\ne0## is not Euclidean."
It is the full diagram but the full metric is not Euclidean.

Dale said:
It is the full diagram but the full metric is not Euclidean.
I do not know what you mean. In what way is the metric different?

student34 said:
I do not know what you mean. In what way is the metric different?
It is ##ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2##. The way it is different is that it has a negative term. We have been over this several times.

Dale said:
It is ##ds^2=-dt^2+dx^2##. The way it is different is that it has a negative term. We have been over this several times.
But I thought that if we built the diagram using only moments in time that it would be Euclidean.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
student34 said:
I thought that if we built the diagram using only moments in time that it would be Euclidean.
You have been told repeatedly that this is not the case. There is no point in continuing this discussion if you are not paying attention.

student34 said:
But I thought that if we built the diagram using only moments in time that it would be Euclidean.
I have told you multiple times that is not so, as have others. Think about the onion. Foliation does not work the way you thought.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, but which particular events (points in spacetime) are part of a given "moment of time" is different for different frames. That is why a horizontal line across one of your diagrams (which represents a moment of time in that diagram's frame) passes through different points on the red and blue lines than a horizontal line across the other diagram (which represents a moment of time in that diagram's frame). You can build a full diagram using either frame, but the "slices" you use to build it will "cut" the actual spacetime at different angles.
By answering yes, do you mean that we can build the diagram exactly how we see it as the image on our computers?

Dale said:
I have told you multiple times that is not so, as have others. Think about the onion. Foliation does not work the way you thought.
I do not understand the onion analogy. I understand that we can integrate many 2d onion bulbs to create a full onion. But I do not understand how that relates to this. What are we integrating in the example?