What is the Inclined Spring Problem?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the body has potential energy before it is released and kinetic energy when it's released and it has the same amount of energy when it hits the spring.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Check out the figure I made up to get the situation of the problem.
It's a body of mass [tex]m[/tex] that is at point [tex]a[/tex] and that we let go down on (due to gravity) the inclinated plane until it reaches a spring (with an elastic constant [tex]k[/tex]) at point [tex]b[/tex]. Before the spring get hitten by the body, it has a length [tex]l[/tex].
a)What is the minimal height (calculated from the ground) the body will reach?
b)Calculate the speed of the body just before it hits the spring at point [tex]b[/tex].
c)After having hit the spring, the body is encrusted into the spring. Write down and solve the equation of the movement of the body with respect to a coordinates system with its origin at the equilibrium point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the equation of conservation of energy to be [tex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}k(x-x_{equilibrium})^2-\sin (\alpha)mgx[/tex] when the body has already touched the spring. But before this moment, I'm not sure about how to calculate it. Anyway, am I in the right way to solve the problem?
Well in fact I find it very hard to solve and I'm not sure about how to proceed. Can you help me to get started? (on a), of course).

Attachments

• ressort.pdf
    5.8 KB · Views: 256
Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:

Homework Statement

Check out the figure I made up to get the situation of the problem.
It's a body of mass [tex]m[/tex] that is at point [tex]a[/tex] and that we let go down on (due to gravity) the inclinated plane until it reaches a spring (with an elastic constant [tex]k[/tex]) at point [tex]b[/tex]. Before the spring get hitten by the body, it has a length [tex]l[/tex].
a)What is the minimal height (calculated from the ground) the body will reach?
b)Calculate the speed of the body just before it hits the spring at point [tex]b[/tex].
c)After having hit the spring, the body is encrusted into the spring. Write down and solve the equation of the movement of the body with respect to a coordinates system with its origin at the equilibrium point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the equation of conservation of energy to be [tex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}k(x-x_{equilibrium})^2-\sin (\alpha)mgx[/tex] when the body has already touched the spring. But before this moment, I'm not sure about how to calculate it. Anyway, am I in the right way to solve the problem?
Well in fact I find it very hard to solve and I'm not sure about how to proceed. Can you help me to get started? (on a), of course).
You've got the right idea with conservation of energy. What form of energy does the body have before it is released? How much energy does it have at this point?

Thank you Hootenanny, I could solve the problem. I only got some dificulties in encountering [tex]x_{\text{equilibrium}}[/tex]. Not that much in fact but what I did was more or less formal : I assumed that it is situated at the middle point between [tex]x_{min}[/tex] and [tex]x_{max}[/tex] without justifying why it is so.
Anway, about
What form of energy does the body have before it is released? How much energy does it have at this point?
it has only potential energy since its speed is 0. The problem was a bit difficult because I had to establish twice the laws of energy. One before the body hit the spring and the other when it is encastred into the spring. And also convert distances in function of [tex]\alpha[/tex], but I could do it.

FAQ: What is the Inclined Spring Problem?

1. What is an inclined spring problem?

An inclined spring problem is a type of physics problem that involves a spring that is not vertical, but instead at an angle. The problem typically requires solving for the equilibrium position, or the position at which the forces on the spring are balanced.

2. How do you solve an inclined spring problem?

To solve an inclined spring problem, you can use the laws of physics, specifically Hooke's law and Newton's laws of motion. You will need to calculate the forces acting on the spring, including the force of gravity and the force of the spring itself, and then use these to determine the equilibrium position.

3. What are the key equations for solving an inclined spring problem?

The key equations for solving an inclined spring problem include Hooke's law, F = -kx, where F is the force of the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium, and Newton's second law, F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the spring, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. What are some common real-life applications of inclined spring problems?

Inclined spring problems can be found in various real-life situations, such as the suspension systems of vehicles, the design of springs in furniture and mattresses, and the behavior of springs in trampolines and pogo sticks. They can also be used to model and study the motion of pendulums and simple harmonic oscillators.

5. What are some tips for solving inclined spring problems?

Some tips for solving inclined spring problems include drawing a free-body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the spring, carefully labeling and setting up the variables and equations, and using trigonometry to determine the components of the forces at an angle. It can also be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to double-check your calculations and answers for accuracy.

Back