Incompressible viscous liquid questions

In summary, the answer to which of the following is true in a streamlined flow of incompressible viscous liquid is that the velocity of the liquid in contact with the containing vessel is zero.
atavistic
Which of the following is true in a streamlined flow of incompressible viscous liquid?
A) When a fluid is in streamlined flow then there is transport of energy from one layer to another.
B) The speed of flow at all points in space is necessarily same.
C) The velocity of the liquid in contact with the containing vessel is zero.
D) None of the above.

I don't think this a homework type problem rather conceptual. Can somebody please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org

atavistic said:
Which of the following is true in a streamlined flow of incompressible viscous liquid?
A) When a fluid is in streamlined flow then there is transport of energy from one layer to another.
B) The speed of flow at all points in space is necessarily same.
C) The velocity of the liquid in contact with the containing vessel is zero.
D) None of the above.

I don't think this a homework type problem rather conceptual. Can somebody please explain.

You're right, this is a problem based more on the concept than any equations.

Have you seen a demonstration of streamlines? If so, visualizing that will probably help.

Think about each statement and whether it makes sense.

A) Each streamline represents a layer. Do the streamlines (layers) intersect?
B) If the streamlines encounter an object or the side of a containing vessel, can they speed up or slow down? It may help to think of air rushing by an airplane wing or along a rough surface.
C) This one might be a little more difficult to visualize. Think about how fast you can pour a viscous fluid like honey out of a jar and how fast it flows along the side of the jar compared to in the middle (this visualization may also help with part B)

Think about each one, and if any do or don't make sense.

That was very nice reply Stovebolt.Thank You.

A) Streamlines don't intersect but does that mean they don't interact energetically?

B)I think they can speed up or slow down because if we take a crossection of the vessel then the volume of fluid it contains must pass through some other crossection and if I keep a big boulder in that crossectional volume , then the fluid will have to speed up.

C)The fluid in contact is slower but maybe because of surface tension.

atavistic said:
That was very nice reply Stovebolt.Thank You.

A) Streamlines don't intersect but does that mean they don't interact energetically?

This depends on how you look at it. From a more simplistic viewpoint, there is almost no kinetic energy transfer, which I'm guessing is the "right" answer for this question.

However, if there's an energy differential, there's going to be energy transfer (e.g., if one stream is moving faster than another, and they are in contact, there will be some friction between them, meaning energy will be moving from one layer to the other)

B)I think they can speed up or slow down because if we take a crossection of the vessel then the volume of fluid it contains must pass through some other crossection and if I keep a big boulder in that crossectional volume , then the fluid will have to speed up.

Absolutely correct.

C)The fluid in contact is slower but maybe because of surface tension.

You're on the right track, though it isn't technically surface tension. There is a boundary layer between flowing fluid and a containing vessel. In this boundary layer, there are a number of forces that may be acting on the fluid - friction, drag, adhesion, etc, which act as a sheer force on the fluid. Since fluids have low resistance to sheer forces (depending on viscosity), these forces create an effective velocity of the fluid in contact with the vessel of zero.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please let me know.

1. What is an incompressible viscous liquid?

An incompressible viscous liquid is a type of fluid that cannot be compressed, meaning its volume remains constant even under high pressure. It also has a high level of viscosity, which means it has a resistance to flow and tends to stick to surfaces.

2. How is the viscosity of an incompressible viscous liquid measured?

The viscosity of an incompressible viscous liquid is typically measured using a viscometer, which measures the time it takes for a liquid to flow through a narrow tube under a specific pressure. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity of the liquid.

3. What are some common examples of incompressible viscous liquids?

Some examples of incompressible viscous liquids include oils, honey, syrup, and molasses. These liquids have a high viscosity and are difficult to compress due to their molecular structure.

4. How do incompressible viscous liquids behave under different temperatures?

Incompressible viscous liquids tend to have a lower viscosity at higher temperatures, meaning they become less resistant to flow. This is because the molecules in the liquid are able to move more freely, making the liquid less sticky. Conversely, at lower temperatures, the viscosity of these liquids increases.

5. What are the practical applications of incompressible viscous liquids?

Incompressible viscous liquids have a wide range of practical applications. They are used as lubricants in machinery, as coolants in engines, and as hydraulic fluids in hydraulic systems. They are also commonly used in food products, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.