1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Incorrect calculator?

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    I believe that this calculator generates answers assuming that the only force acting on a falling object after it has encountered a stopping surface is the force of the stopping surface. The calculator needs to factor in gravity throughout the whole fall. Would someone else please verify?
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
    Click Mechanics, work-energy principle, and then impact force of falling object, and "Since you know velocity, mass, and kinetic energy, can you predict the force of impact?"
    Example numbers:
    m=50kg, h=10m, d=5m
    stopping force should be about 1480N, but the calculator is saying 980N.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the little note at the bottom of that page.

That should take care of your problem (you probably should use d=5, h=5 to describe the situation I think you have in mind). If not for this disclaimer, the calculation would be, as you point out, wrong for the general case where d is not necessarily small compared to h.

4. Jun 20, 2006 #3
    I didn't take time to read that disclaimer carefully. Thanks for the quick answer!

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is not a disclaimer, it is a caveat. :mad:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?