Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Incorrect calculator?

1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    I believe that this calculator generates answers assuming that the only force acting on a falling object after it has encountered a stopping surface is the force of the stopping surface. The calculator needs to factor in gravity throughout the whole fall. Would someone else please verify?
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
    Click Mechanics, work-energy principle, and then impact force of falling object, and "Since you know velocity, mass, and kinetic energy, can you predict the force of impact?"
    Example numbers:
    m=50kg, h=10m, d=5m
    stopping force should be about 1480N, but the calculator is saying 980N.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the little note at the bottom of that page.

That should take care of your problem (you probably should use d=5, h=5 to describe the situation I think you have in mind). If not for this disclaimer, the calculation would be, as you point out, wrong for the general case where d is not necessarily small compared to h.

4. Jun 20, 2006 #3
    I didn't take time to read that disclaimer carefully. Thanks for the quick answer!

5. Jun 21, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is not a disclaimer, it is a caveat. :mad:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook