Is This Calculator Incorrect for Predicting Impact Force of a Falling Object?

• Thread starter westerndragon76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculator that generates answers assuming that the only force acting on a falling object after it has encountered a stopping surface is the force of the stopping surface. However, it is mentioned that the calculator needs to factor in gravity throughout the whole fall. It is also mentioned that the calculation of impact force is accurate only if the height includes the stopping distance, and a caveat is provided for the general case. The conversation ends with a thank you for the quick answer.
westerndragon76
I believe that this calculator generates answers assuming that the only force acting on a falling object after it has encountered a stopping surface is the force of the stopping surface. The calculator needs to factor in gravity throughout the whole fall. Would someone else please verify?
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
Click Mechanics, work-energy principle, and then impact force of falling object, and "Since you know velocity, mass, and kinetic energy, can you predict the force of impact?"
Example numbers:
m=50kg, h=10m, d=5m
stopping force should be about 1480N, but the calculator is saying 980N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read the little note at the bottom of that page.

Note that the above calculation of impact force is accurate only if the height h includes the stopping distance, since the process of penetration is further decreasing its gravitational potential energy.

That should take care of your problem (you probably should use d=5, h=5 to describe the situation I think you have in mind). If not for this disclaimer, the calculation would be, as you point out, wrong for the general case where d is not necessarily small compared to h.

I didn't take time to read that disclaimer carefully. Thanks for the quick answer!

It is not a disclaimer, it is a caveat. :mad:

1. What causes a calculator to give incorrect results?

There are several possible reasons for a calculator to give incorrect results. Some common causes include user error, low battery, and malfunctioning components.

2. How can I fix my calculator if it is giving incorrect results?

The first step is to check the batteries and make sure they are charged or replaced if necessary. If the issue persists, try resetting the calculator or checking for any damaged or stuck buttons. If none of these solutions work, it may be time to replace the calculator.

3. Can an incorrect calculator damage my calculations or data?

In most cases, an incorrect calculator will not damage your calculations or data as long as you double-check the results before using them. However, if the calculator is consistently giving incorrect results, it could lead to errors in your calculations or data.

4. Why does my calculator sometimes give incorrect results and other times it works fine?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as user error, low battery, or a malfunctioning component. It is important to double-check your calculations and try resetting the calculator or replacing the batteries if the issue persists.

5. Can I trust the results of my calculator?

If your calculator is functioning properly and you are using it correctly, you can trust the results. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and consider the possibility of user error or a malfunctioning calculator.