Incorrect dilution values per text implications.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of [CrO4^2-] per flask in solutions containing different volumes of 0.0024M K2CrO4 and 0.25M NaNO3. The calculated concentrations for each flask are 2.4x10^-5M, 1.2x10^-4M, 2.4x10^-4M, and 3.6x10^-4M respectively. It is noted that the values on the x-axis of the graph provided may be a typo, as concentrations higher than 10M are very rare.
atmega-ist

Homework Statement

Volumes of 1, 5, 10 and 15mL .0024M K2CrO4 are added to separate flasks and then filled with enough .25M NaNO3 to make 100mL of solution each. I'm asked to calculate the [CrO4^2-] per flask. I assume that all of the K2CrO4 will dissociate and, since there is only 1mol CrO4^2- per mole of K2CrO4, the [CrO4^2-] = [K2CrO4].

Homework Equations

M1V1 = M2V2 ==> M2 = M1V1/V2

The Attempt at a Solution

My calculations gave me the following values for each flask.

Flask with 1mL K2CrO4: [CrO4^2-] = 2.4x10^-5M

Flask with 5mL K2CrO4: [CrO4^2-] = 1.2x10^-4M

Flask with 10mL K2CrO4: [CrO4^2-] = 2.4x10^-4M

Flask with 15mL K2CrO4: [CrO4^2-] = 3.6x10^-4M

My concern, though, is that the text asks me to graph these values against the corresponding volume of K2CrO4 for each flask but the values of the x-axis ([CrO4^2-]) on the suppplied graph range from 0 to 3.6x10^4 are marked in increments of .2x10^4... Would it seem that this is supposed to be ten-to-the-negative fourths or have I completely missed something?

It seems to me that any concentration of 2000M is a bit steep. Also - why would a decimal be used if it were intended to be expressed in thousands rather than thousandths?

All of my data would fit on the table if it were a typo but with the concentration of the 1mL flask being to the negative 5th I thought I'd see if anyone could help me find the error.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be a typo. Your approach is correct.

In general concentrations higher than 10M are very rare, highest concentration I can think of is that of pure water - 55.5 M. Concentrated acids can get up to about 17 or 18M.

Related to Incorrect dilution values per text implications.

1. What are incorrect dilution values and why are they important?

Incorrect dilution values refer to errors made when preparing a solution by adding either too much or too little of a substance. This can have significant implications for the accuracy and reliability of experimental results, as well as potential safety concerns.

2. How can incorrect dilution values affect the outcome of an experiment?

If the dilution values are incorrect, the concentration of the solution will be inaccurate. This can lead to incorrect results and conclusions, and may also impact the reproducibility of the experiment.

3. What are some common causes of incorrect dilution values?

Incorrect dilution values can result from errors in measurement, calculation, or mixing. These errors may be caused by human error, incorrect equipment calibration, or misunderstanding of instructions.

4. How can scientists prevent incorrect dilution values?

To prevent incorrect dilution values, scientists should carefully follow established protocols and pay close attention to measurements and calculations. Using calibrated equipment and double-checking calculations can also help to prevent errors.

5. What are the potential consequences of using incorrect dilution values in research?

Using incorrect dilution values can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially invalidate the entire experiment. It can also waste time, resources, and funding. In some cases, incorrect dilution values may also pose safety hazards for the researcher or those working with the solution.