Did a Recent Dust Storm in Arizona Cause Disruptions for Airline Flights?

In summary: This article discusses the Phoenix dust storm that occurred on July 19, 2011. This storm caused widespread power outages and caused many people to become stranded. Despite being less powerful than the previous storm, this event still caught the attention of many people due to its incredible visual properties. Additionally, this storm was the subject of an article that was written by a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Did this affect any of our members?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/time-lapse-amazing-phoenix-dust-storm-21209

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Did this affect any of our members?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/time-lapse-amazing-phoenix-dust-storm-21209

Holy crap, it looks like a massive warhead went off, that is truly freaky... Does anyone have a good scientific explanation, wind currents, etc ?

Rhody... :eek:

Cool looking, I was in a sand storm in the middle east many years ago. It was not fun.

When I was taking Basic Training at Ft. Bliss, I wondered "why did they issued goggles". One day I saw what looked a wall cloud coming and expected rain. No; it was goggle time.

I fell sorry for the folks in the path of a dust(or sand) storm.

That is one of the most incredible weather-type things I've seen in a very long time.

Has anyone seen any aerial/space images for this? I've done a few quick searches and can't find any :(
My sister was at New Mexico State (nearish to White Sands) when a dust storm rolled through there several years ago and I remember following it on sat images.

It just happened again...

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/2011-07-19-phoenix-dust-storm_n.htm"

The dust wall was about 3,000 feet high and created winds of 25 to 30 mph, with gusts of up to 40 mph, said Austin Jamison, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service. Visibility was down to less than a quarter-mile in some areas, he said.
and
Incoming flights from nearby cities including Los Angeles were being held until the storm cleared, she said. She did not know how many flights were delayed or whether any were canceled.

Another giant dust storm in Arizona caught worldwide attention on July 5. That storm brought a mile-high wall of dust that halted airline flights, knocked out power for hundreds of people and turned swimming pools into mud pits.

Jamison said Monday's storm was not as powerful or as large as the last one, and didn't last as long.

"It's kind of like a ripple in a pond where it spreads out, slows down and fades out," he said.

Rhody... :yuck:

1. What caused the incredible dust storm in AZ?

The dust storm, also known as a haboob, was caused by strong winds that picked up dry, loose soil and carried it across the landscape. These winds were caused by a combination of factors, including a cold front, thunderstorms, and strong downdrafts.

2. How often do dust storms occur in Arizona?

Dust storms are a common occurrence in Arizona, particularly during the monsoon season from June to September. On average, there are about 3-5 dust storms per year in the state, but some years can see more or fewer storms.

3. Can dust storms have a negative impact on human health?

Yes, dust storms can have a negative impact on human health. The dust particles in the storm can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, and can also aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma. It is important for people to stay indoors and avoid exposure to the dust during a dust storm.

4. Are dust storms common in other parts of the world?

Yes, dust storms can occur in many parts of the world, particularly in dry and arid regions. Some of the most well-known dust storm-prone areas include the Sahara Desert in Africa, the Gobi Desert in Asia, and the Arabian Peninsula.

5. How do scientists study dust storms?

Scientists study dust storms using a variety of methods, including satellite imaging, weather monitoring stations, and computer models. They also conduct field studies and collect data on wind patterns, soil conditions, and other factors that contribute to the formation and intensity of dust storms.