Index Notation Help: Understanding Swapping Symbols in AxB=-BxA

D = B \times A = D_i = \epsilon_{ijk} B_j A_kIn summary, the proof shows that for matrices A and B, the cross product AxB is equal to -BxA. This is demonstrated by manipulating B and A to find that Di=-Ci, and then replacing s with k and m with j to find that Di=Ci. The use of the Kronecker Delta is key in this proof.
genericusrnme

Homework Statement

I was following along with a proof of AxB=-Bxa

it went along the lines of;
Let;
C=AxB=Ciei
D=BxA=Diei
for i=1,2,3
and we know
Ci=eijkAjBk
Di=eijkBjAk
we can manipulate B and A to give
Bj=BsDeltasj
Bk=AmDeltamk

so we find;
Di=eijkDeltasjDeltamkBsAm = eismBsAm

then it says replace s by k and m by j to find;
Di=eikjBkAj=-eijkAjBk=-Ci

I don't understand why you can just swap s to k and m to j, what's stopping you just replacing s to j and m to k and finding that Di=Ci?
(every time I tried to use the delta from the Latex reference I just got a superscript 1 so that's why I write Delta for the Kronecker Deltas)

Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
first try this for tex
[tex] C = A \times B = C_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k[/tex]

1. What is index notation and why is it used?

Index notation is a mathematical notation system that uses indices or subscripts to represent repeated multiplication. It is used to simplify and condense complicated mathematical expressions, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How do I know when to swap symbols in AxB=-BxA?

In index notation, the order of the symbols does not matter as long as the indices remain in the same order. To swap symbols, simply swap the indices of each symbol. For example, AxB becomes BxA and -BxA becomes -AxB.

3. What happens to the signs when swapping symbols in AxB=-BxA?

When swapping symbols in AxB=-BxA, the signs of the symbols also need to be swapped. This means that if one symbol has a positive sign, it will become negative and vice versa.

4. Can I use index notation with more than two symbols?

Yes, index notation can be used with any number of symbols. The key is to make sure that the indices are swapped in the same order for each symbol. For example, AxBxC=-CxBxA will follow the same swapping rule as AxB=-BxA.

5. Are there any limitations to using index notation?

While index notation can be a powerful tool for simplifying mathematical expressions, it does have its limitations. It is not suitable for all types of mathematical problems and may not be intuitive for everyone. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and rules of index notation before using it in more complex equations.