Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form: $f(X) = \sum^{n}_{i=1} x_{2}^{i}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter A.Magnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, the index of positivity for the quadratic form given is $n$, as calculated using the number of positive terms in its canonical form. There is some doubt about the correctness of this solution, but it appears to be applied correctly. The person asking for help also requests any references to this index, if available.
A.Magnus
I am working on this problem: Show that the index of positivity is $n$ for this quadratic form:

$$f: \mathbb R^n \rightarrow \mathbb R, \ f(X) = \sum^{n}_{i=1} x_{2}^{i} + \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i \neq j}x_ix_j.$$

Here is a solution I got from other sources: Since the index of quadratic form is the number of positive terms (or square terms) of its canonical form, and since the canonical form of $f$ is

$$\big(x_1^2 + x_2^2 + ... + x_n^2 \big)+ \frac{1}{n}\big((x_1x_2 + x_1x_3 + ... + x_1x_n) + (x_2x_3 + x_2x_4 + ... + x_2x_n) + ... \big),$$

therefore the index is $n$.

I have strong doubt that this solution is correct. Is this correct? How do I have to go about if this is wrong? Thank you for your gracious help and time. ~MA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MaryAnn said:
I am working on this problem: Show that the index of positivity is $n$ for this quadratic form:

$$f: \mathbb R^n \rightarrow \mathbb R, \ f(X) = \sum^{n}_{i=1} x_{2}^{i} + \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i \neq j}x_ix_j.$$

Here is a solution I got from other sources: Since the index of quadratic form is the number of positive terms (or square terms) of its canonical form, and since the canonical form of $f$ is

$$\big(x_1^2 + x_2^2 + ... + x_n^2 \big)+ \frac{1}{n}\big((x_1x_2 + x_1x_3 + ... + x_1x_n) + (x_2x_3 + x_2x_4 + ... + x_2x_n) + ... \big),$$

therefore the index is $n$.

I have strong doubt that this solution is correct. Is this correct? How do I have to go about if this is wrong? Thank you for your gracious help and time. ~MA

Hey MaryAnn! ;)

I didn't answer yet because I'm not familiar with this index of positivity, and I couldn't find any references to it.
Either way, with the definition you gave, it seems to me that you applied it correctly. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Hey MaryAnn! ;)

I didn't answer yet because I'm not familiar with this index of positivity, and I couldn't find any references to it.
Either way, with the definition you gave, it seems to me that you applied it correctly. (Nod)

Thank you. Let me know if you find any reference to this one. Thanks again for your gracious help. ~MA

1. What is the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form?

The Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form is a mathematical concept used to measure the positivity or negativity of a quadratic equation. It is calculated by adding the squares of all the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

2. How is the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form calculated?

The Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form, denoted as f(X), is calculated by taking the summation of the squares of all the coefficients in the quadratic equation. For example, if the equation is ax^2 + bx + c, the index would be f(X) = a^2 + b^2 + c^2.

3. What is the significance of the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form?

The Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form is used to determine the nature of a quadratic equation. If the index is positive, the equation is considered to have a positive nature, and if the index is negative, the equation is considered to have a negative nature.

4. How is the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form related to the discriminant?

The discriminant is a term used to determine the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. It is calculated by taking the square root of the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real roots, if it is zero, the equation has one real root, and if it is negative, the equation has two complex roots.

5. Can the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form be used to classify all types of quadratic equations?

No, the Index of Positivity in Quadratic Form can only be used to classify quadratic equations with real coefficients. It cannot be used for complex or imaginary coefficients.