India's 3-Year-Old Marathon Boy | Shocking Story

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
In summary, a three-year-old boy in India has been trained to run 48 kilometers daily, which could result in serious health issues. This has raised concerns about potential physical and psychological effects, as well as the fact that the child was sold into slavery.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
India's marathon boy, aged three
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4241958.stm"
This is shocking! 48 kilometers on a daily basis! . He's only 3 years old! This could do serious damage to his health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. Anyone who pays attention to horse racing knows that when they are trained to race while too young, they wind up with a lot of bone and joint injuries later in life due to all the impact on still growing bones. I'd be worried the same would happen to a child running so much...not to mention who knows what will happen when he should reach puberty and is on this high energy diet combined with high energy expenditure...maybe nothing, maybe not. And I also wonder about the psychological effect of being on a such a training schedule from such a young age rather than just going out and playing with other children and learning to socialize, etc.

Of course the part of the story that shocked me before I even got to the part about him running marathon distances is that he was sold! It seems that the writer of the story isn't even ruffled that this kid was sold into slavery! That's horrible!

I am deeply concerned about the physical and psychological effects that this extreme level of running could have on a three-year-old child. The human body is not designed to endure such intense physical activity at such a young age, and it is likely that this child's bones, muscles, and overall development could be negatively impacted.

Furthermore, running such long distances on a daily basis could also have long-term effects on the child's cardiovascular and respiratory systems. It is important for children to engage in physical activity, but it must be done in a safe and age-appropriate manner.

I also have concerns about the psychological impact on this child. It is important for children to have a balance of physical activity and rest, as well as time for play and socialization. This intense training regimen may deprive the child of these essential aspects of childhood, which could have negative effects on their mental and emotional well-being.

It is important for parents and coaches to prioritize the health and well-being of young athletes, and to ensure that their training is appropriate for their age and physical development. I urge caution and responsible decision-making in cases like this, where a child's health and future are at stake.

1. How did a 3-year-old boy manage to run a marathon in India?

The 3-year-old boy, Budhia Singh, was trained by his coach, Biranchi Das, who was also his guardian. He started training at the age of 2 and was able to build his endurance and physical strength through rigorous training and a strict diet.

2. Is it safe for a 3-year-old to run a marathon?

It is generally not recommended for young children to participate in marathons or any intense physical activities, as their bodies are still developing and may not be able to handle the strain. In the case of Budhia Singh, his training was deemed excessive and potentially dangerous by medical professionals.

3. What was the reaction of the public to this story?

The story of Budhia Singh gained a lot of attention and sparked controversy in India. Some people saw it as a remarkable achievement, while others were concerned about the potential harm to the child's health. There were also debates about the role of the coach and the ethics of pushing a young child to extreme physical limits.

4. Did the boy continue to run marathons after this incident?

No, Budhia Singh's marathon running days were cut short after his coach was arrested and charged with exploiting and abusing the child. The boy was placed under the care of the government and was no longer allowed to participate in long-distance running.

5. What lessons can we learn from this story?

This story highlights the importance of responsible coaching and the well-being of young athletes. It also raises awareness about the dangers of pushing children to extreme physical limits and the need for proper regulations in sports training for children. Additionally, it sheds light on the issue of child exploitation and the importance of child protection laws.